Changed my carry ammo

armednfree

I was carrying Winchester 9mm 124 grain PDX1 in my Glock 26. Yesterday I was at Fin Feather Fur in Ashland Ohio and I found 50 round boxes of Federal 147 grain HST's for $17.50 a box.

The box said "Seconds" and "Cosmetic" and I found that they were just a bit rippled. Nothing I haven't seen in ammo before. I shot 20 of them in my Glock using both magazines and had zero issues.

my vote in hst is 147gr expands good, on line it's a toss up with shooters between this and 124gr+p. as far as hst go.

While I don't disagree, keep in mind that the weight difference here is 23 grains which is 0.05 ounces. Not that big of a difference. That said, certainly nothing wrong with HST.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

But it's not 23 grains in a static state, it's 23 grains at the velocity which make the difference.
That would be like saying that a .380 90 grain is not much difference than a 115 grain 9mm at the same velocity.

To me a 9mm at 380ACP velocities would be giving up quite a bit. Velocities being equal sure I'll take the heavier bullet, but that usually isn't the case and the extra velocity of the 9mm is to me more important than the weight difference.

I'm simply saying I am not convinced that the differences in bullet weight here will be the difference between breaking bones or not. There is also not just a weight difference, but a velocity difference as well. In looking at the 124 gr +P PDX vs 147 gr HST, it looks to be about 200 fps.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was carrying Winchester 9mm 124 grain PDX1 in my Glock 26. Yesterday I was at Fin Feather Fur in Ashland Ohio and I found 50 round boxes of Federal 147 grain HST's for $17.50 a box.

The box said "Seconds" and "Cosmetic" and I found that they were just a bit rippled. Nothing I haven't seen in ammo before. I shot 20 of them in my Glock using both magazines and had zero issues.

What do you mean by "rippled" in a straight-walled case?

I've seen ripples (dents) in the shoulder of bottle nose cases and partially shortened/crushed straight-wall ones damaged in the seating die station of a loading press.

What do you mean by "rippled" in a straight-walled case?

I've seen ripples (dents) in the shoulder of bottle nose cases and partially shortened/crushed straight-wall ones damaged in the seating die station of a loading press.
I was wandering about that too,but I'v learned that I get into less trouble if I keep it closed......
Because the 9mm Luger is a tapered case.

What's more important is hitting what you aim at . A good well placed 22 lr. for that matter would do the job . Throwing lead in one direction with knock down power hopeing to hit any part of what your aiming at , then pick the biggest and badest . Most of the time alot of practice with the same gun and a accurate round is best .

I was wandering about that too,but I'v learned that I get into less trouble if I keep it closed......
Because the 9mm Luger is a tapered case.

Right, it is. I was using straight-walled in the sense of the case not being necked down with a shoulder-- like a 30-06.

"I'm simply saying I am not convinced that the differences in bullet weight here will be the difference between breaking bones or not."

I'm also dubious about a few extra grains making much of a difference.

As for "breaking bones" I'm assuming the poster really means penetrating bone.

I don't give a crap if I break someone's arm or leg with my carry bullet. I want to make sure that it penetrates through bone and ends up where it needs to -- in vital organs.

Back