Changed grips

Hdonly

My RIA 206 came with the wood grips on it but included another set of grips with it. I put the other grips on and what a difference. I liked the change so much, I ordered a Hogue Monogrip for my Redhawk. I love wood grips, but I should have done this a long time ago. They both fit my hand so much better. With arthuritis in my hand, these new grips help alot.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Redhawk & RIA 206.resized.jpg
    Redhawk & RIA 206.resized.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 378
I've rarely found a revolver which had factory grips I was satisfied with. Grips on a revolver have, for the last several decades it seems, become an afterthought to the manufacturers. Of the 13 revolvers I currently own, only six currently wear the grips that they originally came with (though an additional two do wear factory grips albeit a different style than what they were originally equipped with). Of the six that have their factory grips, two have had Tyler T-Grips added and, and three are old and uncommon enough that aftermarket grips aren't readily available (though I'm not dissatisfied with with the factory grips on my H&R Sportsman). The only one which I can readily find aftermarket grips for and does not wear a Tyler T-Grip is my S&W M36 which I rarely carry or shoot anymore (it was replaced in the rotation by a S&W 442 Pro). That being said, the M36 has worn aftermarket grips at various points throughout the years and one of these days I'll probably get around to putting a Tyler T-Grip on it.

I have the Hogue recoil taming grips on my GP100 and they are a treat. Not that the .357 is such a beast, but as I’m getting older and my hands and wrists are getting more arthritic I hardly ever shoot my .41 mag but can shoot the .357 much easier and just love it. I’ve relegated most of the .41 to my lever action anymore.

I don't know why, but I like mostly rubber grips on my S&W revolvers, but on my Dan Wessons, I always keep going back to the original wood grips. This one came with Houge rubber grips and I took them off almost immediately:

MObZIg.jpg

The worst wooden grips ever, IMHO, are the 80's "Cheese Grater" grips S&W put on lot of revolvers. I have one gun that came with them. I didn't even bother to shoot a single round with them on it.

I just picked up a Smith and Wesson Model 28 Highway Patrolman. I shot it with the factory grips only because I wanted to shoot the gun. I ordered the Hogue Monogrip as well. It feels much better in my hand.

Back