Century STG-58 FAL .308 Rifle

DougB

Anyone have experience with these rifles? As you may have noticed by my recent posts, I'm trying to decide between a Century G-3 clone and a Century FAL. I've decided to wait on the M1A and live without the flash suppressor, which would mean having to register it as an assault weapon here in CA, and having possible restrictions on where I can shoot it, etc.

I know that original rifles, or having them custom built from kits, is popular, and would probably get me a better rifle, but funds and time are limited. The Century rifles seem like my best options at this point.

The FAL looks tempting. It costs less. Magazines are cheap. The Imbel receiver has a much better reputation than the Hesse receiver used on the G-3. I'm thinking that once I have the Imbel-based rifle, I could later upgrade anything that needs it. The only thing I'm really stuck with is the receiver (after Jan 1, here in CA).

But I am concerned, because I'll probably order it, and I've seen Century FALs that varied from junkers made from worn out looking parts, to pretty nice rifles. Anyone know what they are putting out now? Any tips for getting a good one? All experiences and suggestions will be appreciated.

Doug

[This message has been edited by DougB (edited November 14, 1999).]

With Century it really seems to be luck of the draw as to what you end up with. I bought a Century Sporter just before the ban (C1A1) and the only problems I've encountered have been ammo-related. My other two FALs (one an StG58 kit) also work well. The ammo problems all stemmed from using Cavim ammo, I believe. I switched to using Portugese ammo and haven't had the problems. Only one of my FALs will readily digest the Cavim so I'm using that one to shoot off what I have left of the Cavim. I use the surplus because it's cheaper than reloading. The Portugese is good ammo. British Radway Green is supposed to be the best surplus to use in FALs but I've not tried it. It's a little harder to find and a little more expensive, plus the Portgese works fine.
If you have inspection privledges before buying, inspect that it actually has the American parts. Especially look at the gas piston assembly. You may also want to improvise a GO-NOGO gauge along with a little bit of Scotch tape from a fired round to check headspace. Apparently a lot of Century's rifles haven't been correctly headspaced. They apparently were just assembling them as fast as they could to get them out the door. Thus the headspacing problems?
Good luck with your purchase.

fal308,
Thanks for the info. That was my impression of Century rifles as well. If I go ahead and take may chances (and I probably will), I'll remember your ammo recommendations.

How to you check headspace using a fired cartridge and scotch tape? I'd never thought of this, and it sound like a good idea. Does the tape go on the sholder of the case? How much tape would indicate excessive headspace (1 layer, 3 layers, etc.)? Thanks again.

Just put it on the head of the case. IIRC tape is around .00125 thick (measure your tape thickness to be sure). Add that to the length until the bolt has resistance closing (but still closes). Start with no tape, then add one piece at a time until resistance is met. Be advised that this is not a good substitute for a set of GO - NOGO gauges but it should get you close. Remember also DON"T USE a loaded round for this check.

Back