Century Mosin Nagant VG Grade

Hello everyone,

I see an opportunity to pick up one of these rifles for about $99 bux.
To add to my collection.

And would like to know if it would be worth the time and money?

It is chambered in 7.62 x 54, and it comes with a bayonette.

Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Have a good day,

CC

Mosins are fun rifles to shoot, their inexpensive and the ammo is plentiful. Be careful though, collecting Mosins can become an addiction!

The recoil on Mosins is reputedly pretty mean, with the carbines (like M38, M44 and the 91/59) supposedly having worse recoil than the full-length rifles (like 91/30)... for $99, you're probably looking at the full-length gun, the carbines have gotten a bit more expensive lately. In any case, the recoil is bad enough to bruise you if you don't hold it right, and many will recommend recoil pads. Personally, I don't feel much difference between the Mosin carbines and the full-length Mosins in terms of recoil, and if you hold it right, and get accustomed to it, the recoil isn't nearly as bad as some will have you believe, but it's certainly far less forgiving than an AK or SKS.

You can kinda compare the recoil to other rifles you may have shot using this :
Rifle Recoil Table
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Shotgun Recoil Table
http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

Yes, but keep in mind the Mosins have steel butt plates. Therein lies half the perceived 'punishment'. (Recoil isn't very bad. It's just that most people are used to super-mega-ultra-recoil-absorbing-butt pads. Using something old school wakes up the nerve endings, and points out poor stance/technique.)

Steel is not a good product for feeling any reduced recoil. The buttplate was designed to protect the stock, not the shooter. Most military rifles have either steel or hard plastic. A slip on recoil pad works well, or you could install a recoil pad made for your mosin. They do make them and are not expensive.

As far as recoil, the mosin is much less than the old springfield 06 or the 98 mauser. Most people I know who keep their old military rifles in original form use the slip on recoil pad for shooting.

I own a 91/30. Great rifle, recoil is decent but not terrible. Mine was $90 and I don't regret it at all. Milsurp ammo for it is cheap and plentiful. Buy it!

Yes, but keep in mind the Mosins have steel butt plates. Therein lies half the perceived 'punishment'.
+1. Also, the butt of a Mosin-Nagant is relatively small (it takes a size "small" Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad) and the stock has loads of drop for easier use with iron sights. Both of these factors magnify felt recoil.

Another factor is that the carbines (M38, M44, and M91/59) suffer from ridiculous amounts of muzzle flash and blast when using milsurp ammo, which was loaded with powder more appropriate for longer-barreled firearms like the M91/30 and various machine guns. Firing this ammo in a M-N carbine is the milsurp rifle equivalent of firing hot .357Mag loads from a revolver with a 4"-or-shorter barrel. :eek: The huge fireball and deafening <BOOOOM> make many shooters feel that the recoil is worse than it actually is. :rolleyes:

Another plus of a slip-on recoil pad is that it corrects the Mosin-Nagant's very short length of pull relative to most modern sporting centerfire rifles.

Back