Central Texas (Austin) coyote/varmint hunting?

Battler

I don't (yet) hunt.

However, I don't really want to go after Deer.

I've heard Coyote have been a problem on/off, and that people hunt them for money. I don't want any money; but is there any sort of arrangement though which someone can go hunt them and just leave them where they lay?

I don't know if this is possible or not; but I want some way I can just go out for the day and hit some vermin.

I realize most land abouts is private property. Is there anyone to get in touch with? Any way to find someone who may want/not mind someone eradicating some critters on his land?

I'm not inclined to go out on someone's place and do foolish/dangerous things. I DO want to practice field-shooting at my own pace with critters noone cares about (unlike deer) - in a safe environment. I am not one for animals suffering, and only intend to use 308 or 30.06, and take good shots.

I am asking because I don't know the first thing about how this works around here. Back in Australia (probably not so much, now) a (grateful) farmer with a Kangaroo problem would pretty much let you go on the property and cover his land with the remains of varmints. I did not participate in this; but knew others who did and that's how it worked.

Does it ever work like that near Austin TX?

thanks,
Battler.

You might stop by McBride's Guns at 30th and N. Lamar. talk to Oliver in the reloading section, or maybe Jay McBride. Feel free to mention my name and say "Hi!" for me.

Just guessin', the Hill Country is sorta full of folks who don't want to hear guns going bang. You might consider the country out toward Taylor, Manor, or on toward Bastrop...

Before you get into it--not knowing how much shooting of whatever sort you've done, or how good you are--you might consider my comments in Kaylee's query in "Art of the Rifle": http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=65232

Please understand I'm not trying to "talk down" to you...

FWIW, Art

About Mcbrides: Great! I'm about to start reloading for 30-06 and 308 - and was going to be back in there buying goodies anyway. If "Oliver" has been there for over a year, it's probably he who sold me my current reloading setup.

Thanks for the advice (can never have too much good info) - I've been doing the 22 thing; but I mostly shoot at Austin's indoor ranges (limited offhand prospects at Cooks; but good at Reds). I've only recently been moving away from ridding the world of ammo (shooting military pattern semis) to the more politically correct (practicing with boltaction/22/offhand w/12 gauge slugs). I don't have anywhere good to "shoot the can" though.

As far as using a rest, I find that I get a lot out of having something to lean on when I shoot (even if it's the stall of an "indoor".)

Battler.

Yeah, Oliver has been working there for along, long time. He's quite the experimenter for several cartridges; a serious student of the art of handloading. And meticulous. If he doesn't know, he'll say so; if he tells you something it's because he's "been there, done that".

Art

Hell find me a good job in Austin and I'll put you on dove, hogs, and SOME yotes.

Take 183 S about an hour from Austin and you are in a good area for coyotes. We have some property near Luling that has a bunch of wild dogs/coyotes running around. Our neighbor lost a calf and is truly irate. I've yet to get anything but I am waiting for a full moon and some luck. There are also pleanty of hogs in the area too.

The hill country is now full of $&#@ hippie/yuppies that don't want to live in Austin. We have a weekend home in Dripping Springs and in the last 5 years all the ranches have split up and its now full of 500k houses. Darned economic recovery. Oh well, I'll drive them away one of these days shooting off 700 Rem mags and the .454.

Sorry Art.

[Edited by Drundel on 05-02-2001 at 08:56 PM]

Back