Centennial vs. Bodyguard

I own both a Bodyguard and a Centennial.

I carry the Centennial as my Always Gun for two reasons. (1) It is of Stainless Steel construction.
(2) It is a .357 Magnum while the Bodyguard is a .38 SPL

I really like my M-640, and it is rarely beyond reach, but I wish it were a Bodyguard.

If there had been a stainless Bodyguard in .357 Mag in the case next to my M-640, I'd be singing the praises of Bodyguards only. As it is, I still think the Bodyguard is the better design for one reason only. The Single-action capability.

If I ever buy another J-frame snubby, it will be a stainless Bodyguard in .357 Mag.

Doc Hudson

Bodyguard has single action capability. Basically it's a compromise gun between general purpose gun with exposed hammer and Centenial.

Centenial is a niche gun. It is more pocket friendly, and less holes for stuff to get into and snag on. You can get your hand higher on the grip vs Bodyguard. It's also stronger (but in the area that doesn't matter much).

i've owned all three (the 60, 642 and 649), i still own my 642 but none of the others. it served as the backup for my duty gun in patrol and is the gun i carry now when i can't conceal anything else.

when i discovered that i could shoot more accuratly DA than SA, the 60 and 649 became redundant...the hammer spur on the 60 snags and the "hump" on the 649 is just plain "plump"

the 642 IS a "niche gun". it's niche is as the ultimate backup weapon, easy to pack and "slicker than snot" to draw from concealment. it is not for the casual shooter who hasn't mastered the DA trigger pull, but for someone who is willing to spend the time to learn to use it correctly.

Hey 9mmepiphany

Why bother to draw?

Just get the gun pointed forward in the pocket and aim your body.

I've aways felt at least half the purpose of a pocket holster was to reduce the powderburns that would result from firing a pistol inside your pants pocket.

Of course drawing is preferable if you have time and room.

Doc Hudson

Good point, Doc

My pocket pistol, however, is a KelTec P-11, which will be good for only ONE shot from the pocket before it will need to be drawn and cleared of the inevitable failure to function (no room in a pocket to allow the slide to rack, don'tcha know). The J-frame resolvers should probably give shot after shot pretty flawlessly, and there won't really be a pocket there after the first round of +P or Magnum goes off, anyway :).

I have carried my father's Airweight Chief with bobbed hammer spur some, and it really is as slick as a gut. No lighter than my KelTec, but just a little more concealable. In this particular niche, concealment and carryability is all. (Assuming dependability, of course!) So 5 shots instead of 11 is no real drawback.

L.P.

I echo Doc Hudson's comment; the single action potential of the Bodyguard series. Not to be overrated, because it is problematic in cocking this piece under pressure. But you can if you absolutely have to, and still enjoy the attendant advantages of the shrouded hammer (like shooting from the pocket).

Although I now own a mod 342 and a mod 940, both Centennial type, I prefer the Bodyguard style of my old mod 649 and mod 38 that the new guns replaced. The only reason that I have the pistols I do now is that a there is no such thing as a 338 or a 949. Yes, they do have single action capability which is a desirable feature for some people. I also like the idea of a steel firing pin mounted on the hammer (the way they use to be made) rather than moving around in an alloy frame, and no S&W does not use a steel bearing pressed into the alloy frame for the firing pin to ride on, I asked. It is also much easier for a gunsmith, especially a mediocre one, to do an action job on the standard J-frame internals. I have yet to find an action job on a Centennial as good as is on my 940 and that includes the work coming out of the shop of some big name smiths, but the only way that was accomplished was with money and now the inside of my 940 looks like it has been chrome plated. The open top of the Bodyguard is a lint and dirt collector, but I maintain my carry guns with a weekly cleaning to remove dirt, lube if necessary, and daily wipe down, so the open spot is not a problem. Just keep plenty of Q-tips and Breakfree around and you will be fine.

Quote from 9mmepiphany:

"When i discovered that i could shoot more accuratly DA than SA..."

Yes, very true. An exposed or partly exposed hammer on a snubbie is superfulous, and will catch on something.

Jim

My opinion is that

the shrouded hammer is neither fish nor fowl. The purpose of a belly gun is to use in personal defense. The DAO centennial is the logical evolution towards that goal. A bodyguard is for somebody who can't decide to learn to pull through on the trigger and let the gun decide when to fire. The single action capability on a 2" is akin to putting target adjustable sights on the same weapon, maybe not quite as ridiculous, but you get my point. If you want to target shoot, there are plenty of suitable weapons out there. Let the belly gun be a belly gun. JMHO.

I can't speak from experience with the Bodyguard, but it seems to me that a spare dime in my pocket is less likely to jam a Centennial. As far as comments people have made about the benefit of SA shooting with the Bodyguard, I have noticed that I can stage the trigger with a Centennial in such a manner that I get the equivalent of a SA shot even while shooting DA. With practice you would be surprised at the accuracy you can get at distance.

I'd also like to add the ability to hold the Centennial with a higher grip makes shooting a snub much more pleasant so you'll practice more. Control is much better too.

One caveat, the grip angle is drastically changed with the higher grip. But you can always make it as high or as low as you want with the Centennial.

I also think a good trigger job is a must for all snub nose revolvers.

The SA option, IMO, may seem nice on paper, but the chances of ever needing it are low, and none of the recent design improvements are available in the Bodyguard style.

Ian11's point is very true. If you choke all the way up on the backstrap, which isn't possible with any of the other J frame designs, the recoil is almost directly backwards, which makes follow-up shots very fast (very low muzzle flip, even with the ultralight weight versions). Craig Spegal (who designed the 'bootgrip' mass-marketed by Uncle Mike's) has a wood version that comes all the way up the RH side, which helps with this grip.

Back