CCW Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

sere101

Retired Screen Name
What are your opinions on the correct/best type of training for CCW.

I dont think I will be doing any type of competition shooting but want to build and better maintain my skills.
I grew up with weapons that my father, uncles, and cousins had. And they taught me invaluable lessons and common sense. I also had a few years in the Army, a few years ago.
I do carry (legally) but the only trining I currently do is in a limited, well lit, environmentally controlled range. But as I read more of the posts in this forum I feel that I am doing myself an injustice by not getting more realistic training.
Besides the indoor range that I go to there is an outdoor range on the other side of town but am unsure if they offer more than the indoor range. Also, what about all of these training courses around the country?

[This message has been edited by sere101 (edited September 06, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by sere101 (edited September 06, 1999).]

My partner and I attended Thunder Ranch last year and he just returned from Lethal Force Institute. Both are top notch! TR is more hands-on training while LFI has more "legalities" instruction.

Thunder Ranch is one of the best. And you pay for that experiese. If you get a chance to take a Jim Crews class in your area, by all means do so. Some of the best training you can get at a good price. I have taken two classes with Jim and will be taking more the next time he is here in Texas.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

I would try to find some land where you can shoot at. This will take some research but if this is not an option a good method is to practice dry fire in your house. The most difficult part of defensive shooting is pulling your weapon while seeking cover and proper shooting angle, acquiring the target, and shooting the target (and only the target). 3/4 of this whole drill can be done dry fire. I would highly recomend one of the better defensive schools although they can be expensive. It's worth it.
I have a place where I can go by a stream with nice high banks. The most important part is making sure you shoot the target. The first time I practiced I placed several targets with some side be side with a slight overlap. The objective is to hit the bad guy standing behind the hostage. The bad guy was dead but the hostage needed some surgery on his shoulder(after I shot 10 rds). I learned that it's not how quick you shoot (although helpful) but how quick you shoot a good shot. The next time when I turned, dropped to a knee, acquired my target, I paused for a second to ensure my aim was stable, then fired. Much better results.

I am also a Volleyball coach so I know one thing is a constant in whatever you do.
Practice what you do.

I agree with your desire to seek realistic training. Persue this very seriously. If you should ever have to defend me in a hostage situation I would like to keep my shoulder...;-)

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Depends where you live? Did you mention it?
I know some excellent TX references that
won't break you like Thunder Ranch. www.krtraining.com www.sdsinet.com

One general thing after all techy stuff
like gun handling, it's good to take
a force on force course with simuntions
or the like. One that runs scenarios where
someone shoots back - it's an eye opener.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back