CCW in Madison County, Alabama?

MEF

The NRA-ILA website lists Alabama as a "discretionary issue" state.

Does anyone know the policy of the Sheriff of Madison County?

<edit:>

I found some of the information I was after at the following website, but would still like to hear any first-hand accounts.
http://www.co.madison.al.us/services/sheriff/faq.shtml

Madison County Sheriff's Department Sheriff Joe W. Whisante FAQ

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

Q. If I have just moved to Madison County, may I apply for a state pistol permit to carry a concealed weapon?
A. No. You must be a resident of Madison County six (6) months before applying for an Alabama pistol permit.

Q. Where do I apply for an Alabama state pistol permit?
A. If you live in Madison County, you should apply at the Sheriffâs Office, Room 206, at the Madison County Courthouse.

Q. How long does it take for my pistol permit application to be approved?
A. Please allow ten (10) working days for processing. You may call 532-3721 to check the status of your application. If approved, you must come back to the Sheriffâs Office to pick up your permit.

Q. Is there a fee for obtaining an Alabama pistol permit?
A. In Madison County, there is a $10.00 annual fee and your permit can be renewed each year by mail.

[This message has been edited by MEF (edited January 16, 2000).]

I haven't heard back from my father-in-law, but I believe he said that the process was reletively painless.

I'll find out when I apply.

Let me know how it goes.

As an Alabamian and lifelong resident of Madison County (currently livinge elswhere in Alabama due to work) I can tell you that the licensing process in Alabama is left up to the sheriff of each county. There is a $10 registration fee in which you must provide a recent photo and 3 or 4 references of people other than family members who don't think you're a nut (I don't think they actually call these people though). You turn this in and in about 4 to 6 weeks, after a background check that I can get in less than 30sec over the radio, your license will come in the mail. It can be renewed annually through the mail for $10. You must me a resident of the county for at least 6 months too. Unless you have a criminal history, you won't be turned down.

Thanks for the replies.

The main question remaining is the issue of "showing good cause." I live in Los Angeles County and "good cause" is defined by Sheriff Baca in such a manner that ordinary citizens cannot obtain a CCW permit. Just a few miles to the north of my home, the Sheriff of Kern County apparently considers armed self-defense a "good cause" and issues CCW permits to Kern County residents who don't have a prior criminal history.

If I move to Huntsville, and say I want to protect myself and my family beyond the boundaries of our property, would that constitute "good cause" in the Sheriff's eyes?

I live in Madison county Al, It is not hard to get the ccl. Go down to the courthouse, Sheriff office is on the second floor. Fill out the paper (two sides, one sheet), including 4 references, recommended reason for carrying is "protection". Call about 4 weeks later to make sure it is in. Then go down with a picture (wallet size, the gal there cut my wife picture out of one with her and my son. Pay $10 and take your permit home. They will mail you a renewal notice each year. No problems.

Mr. James Burton, I thank you for your reply.

I noticed that MSFC is part of your email address. Is there a NASA (or contractor) employee's shooting club? My main hobby is High Power Rifle competition, but I am also interested in getting back into Bullseye competition and/or other types of pistol shooting (and just plain plinking for fun).

To everyone who's replied to my questions, many thanks yet again; all the good news is wheting my appetite for an escape from California.

Back