CCW in Colorado

BigAl

Does anyone out there have any information about getting a permit to carry in Colorado? What is required? How much does it cost? How long is the permit good for? Any information would be appreciated. Thanx.

There is no such thing as a statewide permit to carry in Colorado (not that you were implying that there is). It depends upon which county you live in as to whether or not you'll be issued a permit.

If you happen to be lucky enough to live in El Paso county (I am), then as long as you have a clean record and about a hundred bucks, you shouldn't have any problem getting official sanction for what is already your right--I didn't (thanks Sheriff Anderson). Of course, the restrictions placed on where you can carry still leave a lot to be desired.

From what I understand after reading some other posts on this board, if you live in Denver, you can forget about getting a permit. But some other counties in Colorado are more friendly when it comes to issuing permits.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

BigAl- let us know where you live in Colorado, if it's in Denver you have no hope, elsewhere maybe we can help.

DAL, last Friday, I talked with a woman who got denied CHL. She was denied because, in 1972, she had a misdemeanor conviction for possession of marijuana.

Anderson's letter of denial was pretty damned nasty. That guy just baffles me sometimes.

Anyway, Big Al, if you're in the occupied territories (Denver and Boulder), don't even bother applying.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Any info for any of the western slope counties? Montrose, Delta, Mesa? I may be moving back "home" early next year. I also would be interested in any competition shooting on that side of the hill.

Thanks.

Coinneach, that's just damn sad. That a minor (it was minor, right?) legal problem of nearly 30 years ago could preclude a person from getting a permit is unconscionable. Has she tried to appeal?

Rotorhead, I found this place while cruising the Internet. It's quite a ways from Delta, but at least it's on "that side of the hill" (I think). http://www.cmn.net/~besc/besc.html
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

Coineach,

Not quite so. George Epp is the Sheriff of Boulder County and he has been criticized for his liberal CCW policies by the likes of HCI, et al. If you live in Boulder County, you have a good chance of getting one.

------------------
Gun Control: The proposition that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own panty hose, is more acceptable than allowing that same woman to defend herself with a firearm.

DAL, Anderson said in his letter that she had *zero* chance of getting an approval on appeal.

Jim, don't you have to prove "need" to get a CHL in Boulder?

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Actually Epps has greatly liberalized (used in the good way) his policy on CCW. No need requirement & you can actually get one if you only work in Boulder county.

Their CCW application used to be rediculous - 13 pages + with you wouldn't believe the requirements. Last I got one (coupla years back), it was only 5pgs or so. Since, it's been shortened & (mostly) fixed. Lots better than it was.

Douglas county is also fairly easy. No "need" requirement, couple of letters of reference, background check. Good for one year initially, two upon renewal. The renewal is simply going in for a new picture and ID.

I'm don't really think the restrictions on where you can carry are that tight, compared to other states. What we have now is far better than the proposal last year as far as restrictions are concerned.

org

Any info for this future occupant of Weld County? I know that the area is very conservative in nature. Just wondering about CCW.

re Weld County .... coupla pals have CCW from there. Ed Jordan (?)'s the sheriff & charges the outrageous amount of $8.50 (yup, the decimal's in the right spot). A coupla letters of ref & no background check as far as I'm aware. He does want to see at least one shooter as he wants to make sure it's in working order. Don't think the S/N's recorded. You can get a CCW from him if you "have business in Weld County" ... don't know to what extent you have to be doing business.

BTW, re no background check - as I understand it, that would preclude you carrying on school grounds due to the federal clause.

All this from word of mouth ....

Coinneach, tell your lady friend to start looking into the Colorado laws. Texas provides that, if you keep your nose clean for a certain number of years, you can have a misdemeanor conviction expunged from your record. I see no reason why Colorado shouldn't have the same provision.

In Texas, the expungment is a court order. If she gets it expunged, and the Sheriff denies her on the same grounds, she can have his butt for violating a court order. ;)

LawDog

Thanks for the info, labgrade. I guess I may just break down and actually get a CCW permit once I get out there. Don't really feel the need for one, though, to be honest. If I ever have to use my gun, it won't be concealed anymore. :)

The last I heard Ray Hickman was suing the sheriff of Weld County (Jordan is, I believe, correct) for not issuing the CCW's or issuing them selectively. Call the patriot radio station in Johnstown, CO KHNC and ask for Don Weideman. He is the owner of the station and knows everything that goes on there. They are in the 970 area code I believe.

------------------
Gun Control: The proposition that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own panty hose, is more acceptable than allowing that same woman to defend herself with a firearm.

Re the Ray Hickman bit .... he, in the past, had sued Larimer County/(the former) Sheriff Shockley for non-issuance & preferences. Jim, your statement seemed strange to me as I am fairly dialed in ... so, talked to Ray this afternoon to get that straight. FYI.
& BTW, a bunch o' grassroots types dumped th eold Shockster & elected a much better sheriff. Yay us! ;)

Oops!

Mea culpa, mea culpa.

I got Maggie's drawers on that one.
------------------

[This message has been edited by jimpeel (edited December 29, 1999).]

No biggy. Opinions (mine are out there sometimes) are one thing & that's half the fun of the deabte, but facts - we do like to keep straight. Lotsa heresay so figured why not ask the man. Again, no big deal. Just sounded off a bit as from what I've heard about Jordan is that he's a straight shooter.

& what's the deal on Maggie? Sumpin we should know? ;)

"Maggie's drawers" is what the soldiers used to call (and may still) the red flag that they wave at the shooting range that indicates you missed the whole damned target -- a "no score".

I not only missed the name of the sheriff but the whole damned county.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jimpeel (edited December 30, 1999).]

Back