CCW in a bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carguychris

Howdy all,

Please help me settle an argument. I know a bank employee who insists that there is a federal law prohibiting the carrying of weapons inside banks and other financial institutions.

I have never heard of such a regulation, and I can't find anything in the Code of Federal Regulations or the U.S. Code that explicitly prohibits carrying a firearm into a bank, concealed or not.

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about state law here; this person is adamant that it's a federal regulation.

Thanks!

I have also heard there is a federal law, but no one has ever been able to show me it. I know people who CCW in Ohio banks. Yes, there are a few banks who do not have the signs up...

You can't find one, because there isn't one.

They are trying to use 18 USC 930 as the prohibition because they are FDIC insured, they think that somehow makes the bank federal property. Of course the bank does not even come close to fitting the definition of federal property.

I open carry at/in every bank I use.

He be wrong, unfortunately, you can't prove a negative.

Ask him for a copy of the law, he's making the affirmative claim.

It's like arguing that there's no such thing as orange frogs. The only proof is to find an orange frog. So, it's his law, make him find it.

A short google search will show that it is a state law only, if he doesn't believe that, tell him to show you a copy of the law.

Freakshow10mm said:
Falls in the same category of the DOT regulation against firearms in a truck cab. BS.

And the same category as the Federal law requiring notification to the shipper if shipping a firearm to a licensee, also BS.

You know I would have to go there, Freakshow10mm! I think you baited me!

Where is the exemption for armored car guards, if there is such a law or regulation? They are private citizens, not law enforcement.

I too have been curious about this (although it's moot since I live in NJ and can't carry anyway).

NJ mayissue a carry permit to an individual who runs a business that deals with a lot of cash; this could qualify for the "justifiable need" required for a permit to be issued. However, the judge who authorizes it may put restrictions on the permit, such as "only when delivering cash." This would mean that the person could only carry from his place of business to the bank, but what about inside the bank?

I have also looked for federal statutes and regulations prohibiting people from carrying inside banks, but I have not found any. Like peetzakilla said, ask him for a copy of the law/regulation.

There is no such Fed law, folks - thus - we don't need to discuss. Anyone who says there is, is an idiot and should go investigate the moon landing.

These proceedings are CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back