CCL FOR SPEEDING TICKETS?

David Wright

I almost didn't what to post this for fear of ruining a potentially good thing, but my partner got a verbal warning for speeding(!)
and he noted that the officer relaxed and was a lot nicer when he showed him his CCL.

This is the 5th time I have known someone that this has happened to. I'm not openly suggesting that the CCL is a "get out of jail free" card or anything like that, but something is going on here in Texas.

Anybody else out there hear of similar stories?

I tend to get pulled over quite often, due to a taillight that refuses to work for more than a day between fixes, regardless of who does the work.

When I'm travelling, I place my gun on the passenger's seat, pointed at the dash.

Every time I've been pulled over, I tell the LEO that there's a gun on the seat (keeping my hands on the steering wheel, o' course). Every time, they've put their flashlight on it, and politely asked if they can take it to their car while they run my license. When I come back clean, they've always handed me the gun, reminded me to be safe and shoot straight, and let me go.

One time, a state bear asked if I had a CCL, at which point I reminded him that I was carrying open, which doesn't require a license in El Paso County. He apologized (gasp) for the mistake.

My experiences with LEOs and my gun have been 100% positive, whether on the road or at the range. YMMV.

probably would work in CA. I'm not saying all the cops are bad, but I seem to attract the evil cop when I pulled over. If I ever got pulled over with a gun in my they would probably beat me silly. I get the extreme, either the real cop, that don't give me the ticket, or the punk ass cops that give me a ticket, attitude and rail me for being a young male with a halfway decent system

"Punk Ass" ?? Can someone be transferred out of being a "Punk Ass" unit to being a "K-9 officer" or "patrolman" ??

Anyway--- Carrying a CCW/CHP/CCL definitely sends a postive message to most LEOs. Unless you also have one of those goofy little badges that say "Concealed Carry Permit" on it or something..... in which case "Playing Police" Syndrome becomes a consideration.

------------------
-Essayons

David,
Yep. Got stopped for driving "above & beyond". Did the 10 & 2 thing, asked him to open the door, asked to get out so I could get my license from my front left pants pocket, etc.

Gave him DL, & cards for Ins, CHL, CHL Instr, & EMT. He asked where my gun was, I told him, "Under my sport coat on the front seat. That's why I asked to get out."

He smiled & in an exaggerated Southern drawl said, "Awww, we're not THAT scared of y'all."

In a similar drawl I replied, "Well, I AM that scared of y'all!

He laughed. I got a warning. (God bless Texas!)

Rob,
I've noticed that the local Sheriff transfers the "punk ass" deputies to other employment opportunities. That way the 99% decent LEOs aren't perceived by the public as "the enemy".

My family knows, "Around these here parts, stranger, if we have trouble we call the Sheriff. He'll handle it."

Okay, okay. So we call the dispatcher and it's actually the Deputies who help. But they have a VERY good reputation and we back 'em all the way.

One of my daughters even DATED a Deputy.
(OGOD! Where did I go wrong as a parent? :) :) )

Don't do the open view on the seat deal in South Carolina without a CCW. You will be charged. It's OK in Georgia. Never tried to show my CCW during a stop. I do place both hands on the window sill as the officer approaches the vehicle.

IIRC, in both SC and GA you can carry in the glove compartment even without a CCL.
I have valid licenses in NC & GA, but when I pass through SC, it goes in the glove box.

I think something is going on. Through out my 30+ years of driving I have received on the average probably about one ticket a year. Usually for speeding through a speed trap. I always either took the defensive driving course or challanged the ticket in court when I could not take the course. In the past 18 months since I received my CCw in Texas, I have twice been let go. Once with a warning and once with a request that I get the item fixed as soon as I could. The first time the officer had apparantly run my plates before walking up to my door and the dispatcher was telling him over the radio while he was asking for my driver's license "WARNING THIS PERSON HAS A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE". I though to myself, great, just great!. As required I haded him my license and CCW license at the same time. I was absolutely shocked when the DPS officer half smiled and said in his Texas drawl, "Well, I guess you guys are going to have to put up with that kind of attitude until everyone gets used to the idea" He asked me if I was carrying, I replied yes, and he handed me my IDs back. He then said that he had pulled me over because my license plate sticker was expired and that I needed to get it taken care of as soon as I could, have a nice day and drive safe. The second time the officer simply told me that he apprciated me giving him the CCW license at the same time I gave him the driver's license (as required by the law) because some folks don't do that and that it makes him uncomfortable because he then has to figure out if they are just forgetful or didn't show it to him for some reason. Although he could arrest them on the spot or file a complaint to the DPS and get their license suspended, he said he never has and didn't elaborate as to why. This guy let me go with a warning ticket. He told me that he too had a CCW so that he could carry away from work (Constable) which surprised me. I figured that if he was a state certified peace officer, which he has to be, he would not be hasseled for carrying concealed while off duty. Strange world. Since it was about 4am in the morning and I was the only guy on the road he had probably seen in an hour we talked some more. He told me that it would suit him just fine if he could be guaranteed that everyone he pulled over had had a state and FBI back groud check. Which CCW carriers in Texas have had. He said some of his co-workers still feel a little skiddish about it, but he reminds them that they probably issue tickets to people evry day that have weapons they are not supposed to have, which is much more scary. My passing on the tickets could be due to my age, my hair cut (high & tight) or the child safety seat in the back, but I don't think so. I notice a difference in attitude. It could also be because (before the CCW) gun toting citizens have pulled officers bacon out the fat on more than one occasion here in Texas. I think more and more officers are seeing CCW licensed people as an asset and not a liability.

I think something is going on. Through out my 30+ years of driving I have received on the average probably about one ticket a year. Usually for speeding through a speed trap. I always either took the defensive driving course or challanged the ticket in court when I could not take the course. In the past 18 months since I received my CCw in Texas, I have twice been let go. Once with a warning and once with a request that I get the item fixed as soon as I could. The first time the officer had apparantly run my plates before walking up to my door and the dispatcher was telling him over the radio while he was asking for my driver's license "WARNING THIS PERSON HAS A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE". I though to myself, great, just great!. As required I haded him my license and CCW license at the same time. I was absolutely shocked when the DPS officer half smiled and said in his Texas drawl, "Well, I guess you guys are going to have to put up with that kind of attitude until everyone gets used to the idea" He asked me if I was carrying, I replied yes, and he handed me my IDs back. He then said that he had pulled me over because my license plate sticker was expired and that I needed to get it taken care of as soon as I could, have a nice day and drive safe. The second time the officer simply told me that he apprciated me giving him the CCW license at the same time I gave him the driver's license (as required by the law) because some folks don't do that and that it makes him uncomfortable because he then has to figure out if they are just forgetful or didn't show it to him for some reason. Although he could arrest them on the spot or file a complaint to the DPS and get their license suspended, he said he never has and didn't elaborate as to why. This guy let me go with a warning ticket. He told me that he too had a CCW so that he could carry away from work (Constable) which surprised me. I figured that if he was a state certified peace officer, which he has to be, he would not be hasseled for carrying concealed while off duty. Strange world. Since it was about 4am in the morning and I was the only guy on the road he had probably seen in an hour we talked some more. He told me that it would suit him just fine if he could be guaranteed that everyone he pulled over had had a state and FBI back groud check. Which CCW carriers in Texas have had. He said some of his co-workers still feel a little skiddish about it, but he reminds them that they probably issue tickets to people evry day that have weapons they are not supposed to have, which is much more scary. My passing on the tickets could be due to my age, my hair cut (high & tight) or the child safety seat in the back, but I don't think so. I notice a difference in attitude. It could also be because (before the CCW) gun toting citizens have pulled officers bacon out the fat on more than one occasion here in Texas. I think more and more officers are seeing CCW licensed people as an asset and not a liability.

Tex-I heard you the first time :)

A warning folks-do not challenge any traffic ticket in court in Augusta(Richmond County)Georgia without an attorney. The Richmond County Traffic Court will place you on one year's probation for running a red light-first offense. If you are charged with two offenses the probation will be consecutive-two years. Augusta/Richmond County has privatized the probation office. Apparently they wish to make certain it is financially solvent.

On the other hand, most counties(I hesitate to say all) in South Carolina will just about halve the points and fine if you show in court for a speeding ticket and request it.

Tex,

I would be interested in the details of CCW involvement in police action, if you could Email, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rob

Back