CCI Shotshells for birds, snakes & rats

Bigronjur

Inactive
Just wondering what those little mini shotshells in 9mm, 38 / 357, 45 ACP, & 44 Spl / 44 Mag do to small critters. Im taking a hog hunt down in the swamps and want to take a smaller gun (SP101, Kimber Pro Carry, or 3" SBH) for the little critters that a 454 & 45-70 would be to much for up close work.

I'd stick with the .44 loads in a revolver, because the 9mm/45 rounds don't cycle too well in semi-auto pistols. Plus, the .44's have a little better range. However, I wouldn't expect to do too much damage past 10-15 yards.

I wouldn't expect much of anything from 'em at all.

Shot about a 3.5-4' rattlesnake once with 2X .44s at ~6' max. Patern covered the snake's head both times (maybe a foot diameter pattern) & it really made the snake mad not dead.

A 265 SWC cast ended the discussion.

Shot a few l'il birdies with the .38 before & at very close range - birds fly away.

I personally have no use for 'em at all.

Maybe just load some wadcutters for the small critters ....

I vote for the wheel-gun then you can dial-a-load a few real bullets and a few of the shotshells.

I've been using them in .22LR for birds in my barn. At first they were great, I killed about a dozen. Now they stay out of range most of the time.
It seems like the shells act a little different from gun to gun. Your range is really limited, shot pattern will be sporadic out of a rifled barrel, and they cause a lot of fouling. They don't give a quick kill, at least in the .22 shells its no.12 shot. The pellets don't hit in a tight enough pack for a real knockdown, but a solid hit is usually lethal on small stuff. Or will at least give you a good opportunity for a followup.

Back