CCI Mini-Mag Squibs

Garandman3

I have used CCI 0030 Mini-Mags with great results for years. When they are in stock I will buy 1000 rounds (10 100 rnd boxes). Recently I have encountered duds and squibs in 3 or 4 100 rnd boxes. I was shooting them in a Browning Buckmark with a 7.25" barrel and had to drive the projectiles back to the chamber to clear the barrel. In the first box in which the problem was encountered there must have 30 squibs and 3 or 4 duds. In the box I shot today there was one dud and 4 squibs. I have 500 more rounds purchased at the same time and hopefully they will be trouble free. Has anyone come across squibs and duds with CCI 0030?

Last edited:
I haven't encountered that, and your report is the first time I've ever heard of issues with CCI Mini-Mags. I'd suggest that you contact CCI, tell them the lot number (it's on the box), and see what they say.

Stop shooting them and contact CCI Customer Service. They will more than likely send you a return postage label so you can return them. They will test the actual cartridges you return, then get back with you. I recently had to return an entire case of CCI-SV and got a full refund of my money.

DaleA, On the last case of CCI-SV that I bought, I had about 2% failure to fire, also excessive wax on the bullets causing failure to feed. Yes, the wax was so heavy, the bolt on a semi auto would not go into battery. I've shot a case of CCI-SV every 10 to 12 months for the past 20 years. Problems were rare, very rare. Maybe on average <1 round per brick would fail to fire, which is acceptable to me. About the time CCI changed packaging, that reddish orange stripe on the bottom of the front of the box, things seemed to go downhill fast. I'm not the only one that noticed a change in quality about the time the change in packaging happened. CCI did something different, and did it wrong. I'm going to wait a couple years and see if they get back to their normal reliable ammo. Currently I'm using Fiocchi SV and Geco Target Rifle. Happy with either.

I haven't even had that sort of bad luck with Remington thunderbolts. video your range session and send that to CCI along with the rest of the ammo.

The 500 I have left have a different lot number and have not experienced a squib in this lot. I'm glad no one else has had the same problem. I just bought some CCI Blazer which I'll shoot in my Buckmark and shoot the Mini-Mags in my Marlin model 60.

Back