CCI BR2 VS CCI 250 VS other

308Loader

In this time of shortages I am running out of BR2 primers. I was able to snatch up a brick of CCI 250's how far off are the two? I realize I will need to work a load back up, how far will I need to back off current pet loads? how different are the two? I also have some CCI 34, WLRM, and Fed 215's. Would one of these be more suitable replacements?

From what I’ve heard, for cci, the only difference between bench rest and standard, is the br is made by their senior staff. Same “recipe” just made to a higher standard, by more skilled personnel. I do not know if the same holds true for federal or others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding is:
Standard CCI 200 is production level
BR2 are better quality control
CCI 34 are hard cup “military rifle” primers at standard large rifle primer levels
CCI250 are large rifle mag primers
Fed 215 are also large rifle mag primers
WLRM are also large rifle mag primers

Using mag primers in place of standard or BR primers is the real question. I know in the 308 case mag primers are not needed, but it is almost all I have left. Before I run out I would like to determine a good replacement load using mag primers if possible.

I’ve got a 10mm I use a large magnum pistol primer in, instead of just large pistol,I do that just with h110 loads, since it’s hard for a standard large pistol to light that much h110(I actually tried standard primers and had lots of unburnt powder after)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Powders I’m trying to light are:
IMR 4064
Varget
IMR 4895

I do have some BLC2 but I don’t use it in .308 loads currently. heard some thing about secondary pressure spikes, barrel ringing...

Back