CCI .22 LR subsonic ammo

Geezerbiker

Many years go during one of the ammo shortages I picked up a 50 round box of these. Anyone have any experience with them?

I don't have a chronograph to check them but I'm wondering if they would be subsonic out of a rifle or only from a handgun? I'm wondering if I should shoot them or save them for trade goods. I have no shortage of .22 rim-fire ammo...

Tony

They are subsonic out of a 16" barrel, and are the only subsonic round
that reliably work the action on my 10/22 and 22/45 when shooting with
a silencer. Slightly less accurate than Aguila subsonic out of my Savage
SV-SR.

The speed of sound varies with air density, but at sea level and average temp is approximately a bit over 1100fps. Anything below that is subsonic.

I've got a box of that ammo in my stash, but have never used any, so I can't say how well it works, or in what....

i have used a few bricks of CCI subsonic, with good results.
My favorite std velocity ammo is CCI Std, a close second is the subsonics.

I've shot a few of the CCI Quiets, but my semiautos don't particularly care for them when I shoot them through the suppressor. They don't want to cycle the action particularly well. Now, with the bolt guns, it's a different story. With those, I get flawless function and just stupid levels of quiet.

None of the semiautos that I have tried the CCI Quiets in will function properly, and I've tried them in several handguns and rifles. I believe that they're only pushing the solid 40 grain projectile around 710 fps or something like that. The CCI Subsonic are pushing a 40 grain hp projectile a little over 300 fps faster, 1,035 fps or something like that, BIG difference.

I have found that some of my vintage .22s do shoot them more accurately than anything else, but with an optic on one you can often watch the bullet move down range to the target in bright sunlight, which is actually kind of a kick.

I've always heard that CCI SV is the "poor man's match" when it comes to .22lr. If you don't have access to Eley or some of the other more expensive target ammo, CCI SV is a 40gr subsonic "1070fps". I can vouch that it's the most accurate .22lr I've ever shot from my Savage FV-SR, and I've tried 20-odd different boxes of whatever I had laying around.

It's so good in fact, that a few years ago, I traded away all the random .22lr I'd managed to collect over the years... thousands of rounds of mix&match boxes and buckets of stuff I'd collected. And since that stuff works so well, it's the only stuff I buy for my bolt guns. I also switched completely over to Federal Automatch for all my semi's. Yup, never gonna re-zero for a single 50rd box of random crap ever again.

CCI SV is no longer the ammo it was. It’s now equivalent to Blazer, based on my testing.

Old lots OLD SV still group super tight. New lots bloom. You’re welcome to try for yourself.

CCI Blazer vs CCI SV… I bet you can’t tell the difference. Try Aguila SV, too. My 10/22 prefers Aguila. My CZ … Blazer.

I’ve never been a fan of the CCI green, I jumped right to SK Rifle Match and this (sadly) is worth the money. Ouch. But group sizes shrink after about 20 rounds to season the barrel to the goopy lube. The CZ loves this stuff.

Back