CCI .22 Long. Something wrong with it?

ffs1942

I was trying out my "new" Remington #4 Rolling Block today. For comparison, I was also shooting my "new" Ithaca 49 as well. Both rifles behaved beautifully with Aguilla .22S.

Then I switched to CCI .22L. L not LR.

Both rifles could not extract the shells. They were in tight and I had to pry them out. I tried a different box and I had the same problem, even though it appears both boxes are the same lot.

My Ithaca has no problems with .22LR. Both my Ithaca and Remington do favor .22S accuracy wise.

Since I was using a compressed cardboard backstop on my indoor airgun range, I decided NOT to test the CCI .22L in my other .22's. My backstop is about 4' of packed corrugated cardboard. My magnum air rifles will only penetrate it maybe 3-4", but .380 will go through. I figured .22S was ok, but anything bigger was iffy. I labeled the .22L as being suspicious and will run it through other guns at the farm sometime.

CCI makes some of the best .22RF. Is this ammo defective or is there something odd about .22L compared to other .22RF loads?

TIA

Brian

Often when shooting a lot of .22short, you'll get a buildup of fouling in the chamber ahead of the case mouth. When you go to shoot the longer .22long it's case will stick in that fouling.

Happens when you shoot a lot of .38special and then switch to .357magnum too.

Often when shooting a lot of .22short, you'll get a buildup of fouling in the chamber ahead of the case mouth. When you go to shoot the longer .22long it's case will stick in that fouling.

Happens when you shoot a lot of .38special and then switch to .357magnum too.
And - it can also happen when shooting a lot of the longer cased Stinger type .22lr.

Like the .38/.357, the .22 can be cured nearly instantly.

Take a fired .22 Stinger case and shove it into he chamber after shooting the .22s. That will scrap the carbon ring out enough so you shouldn't have any issues.

I use a fired .357 case to do that when I shoot .38's & a .44 mag case when I shoot .44 specials.

Back