CC holsters

flashhole

Inside the waist band, outside the waist band

Thumb break, no thumb break

Leather, nylon, plastic

What's your preference? I'm in the market for a carry holster for my S&W Airweight 38. I'm leaning toward the small pancake OWB style.

Also in the market for a holster for my Ruger Mark IV Target. This one is not necessarily for concealed carry.

I think you are spot on. I mostly carried OWB, pancake. I’ll bet RG Leather on Facebook could make you happy. Check his stuff out.

I had a Don Hume IWB for my 640 and it was great too. Pocket carry sucked!

The Model 38 Airweight is made for pocket carry---small. lightweight, rounded to aid concealment, and a standard grip/stocks that has a small footprint. I regularly carried mine in a DeSantis Nemesis for years until I semi-retired it.

JXhZVw4.jpg

Inside the waist band, outside the waist band

Thumb break, no thumb break

Leather, nylon, plastic

What's your preference?

My Preferences:

• Inside the waistband, carried 3 o'clock (right on my hip)
  • Kydex holster molded to fit the gun, with at least one belt loop for security. (I've had too many times when clips would fail to hold the holster to the belt).
  • For a very short gun, try to buy a bit longer holster (ex. 3" XD subcompact, buy holster for 4" XD Service) -- short holsters can sometimes want to flop over the belt, because more of the weight of the gun is above the belt.

Google up "Blade Tech Nano" for an example of this style.

I'm in the market for a carry holster for my S&W Airweight 38. I'm leaning toward the small pancake OWB style.

Also in the market for a holster for my Ruger Mark IV Target. This one is not necessarily for concealed carry.

J-frame S&W shouldn't be too hard to find.

Last edited:
The type of clothing you wear may have a lot to do with what carry rig you use. Also, your body type and shape will have much to say about it. :-)

I still prefer a belly band over anything else for all of those reasons.

--Wag--

My preference is leather IWB - leather for comfort, IWB for maximum concealment. With IWB, less revolver or pistol needs to be concealed by a cover garment, since a substantial portion is inside your britches. I had a Milt Sparks Summer Special when I carried a S&W 642. Went to a semi for capacity reasons, and have come to like DeSantis Inner Piece.

Kydex is going to last better and probably protect the gun better if you work outside in a hot environment, though. I work indoors.

Not for work, just personal carry.

My buddy who teaches CC classes and runs a LEO training center is a strong advocate of OWB holsters.

He's not a big fan of revolvers for personal protection but values highly how accurately the person can shoot his weapon regardless of capacity.

I'm looking at both IWB and OCB options. I may get one of each just to be able to state my own opinion against personal experience.

I have 3 versions of CCW holsters(I know I'm luckily strange and don't have a box full). My first one is an old Bianchi Askins Avenger OWB. The next couple are Milt Sparks Summer Special II IWB's. I've since found Vedder LightTuck IWB Kydex holsters. I like all of them but there's not a thumb break on any of them.

For my pocket-carried LCR, I just use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, though I'm hoping to upgrade that soon. For my Shield and my G19: (1) DeSantis Speed Scabbards for OWB leather; and (2) Stealth Gear Revolutions for IWB.

While i do have a CCL in my state, i usually carry OWB.
My usual carry is a Springfield Armory Mil Spec Champion in a DeSantis Yaqui slide holster.
My Walther PPS i carry in a Blackhawk thumb break holster.

Back