CC Ammo for .40 cal

Glock_man

I am looking for Conceal carry ammo in a .40 caliber. I am currently using Hydra-Shok but am concidering Custom Hornday. I am looking for maximum penetration, and maximum expansion once inside. Any sugguestions or comments on what you guys carry or like would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
when the govenment comes for you weapons, give them the ammo first

I would stick with the hydra or maybe a speer GD loaded by proload or Georgia Arms....
Go for the 165 I use this out of my mod 22 and 23. I shoot the 155 better for some reason out of the mod27.....

I lean more towards penetration myself, and carry CCI 180gr Gold Dots. They also have a good record of expanding, but typically out of full sized guns.

Corbon just sent me some of thier 150gr JHP's to try out. Performance was outstanding at 1200 fps, both in penetration and expansion.
Black Hills makes a very solid, high penetration 180 JHP with decent expansion.

I usually carry 180 grain hydra shoks or gold dots in mine as well although the 155 grain gold dots aren't bad either.

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

Hornady might give you more penetration, or you could just shoot hardball...........civilian or L.E.?

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Max penitration and expansion can often be found in overpowered rounds that can cause too much recoil and inherent innaccuracy especially with smaller handguns. My limited research shows that the ProLoad and GoldenSabers have the best performance preferrably in the 165 or 155gr for me and my Glock22. These rounds are accurate without loosing penitration. And performance only counts if you hit your target. But dont feel bad as your HydraShocks have an excellent record.

Cor-Bon sent me some 135gr. HP to try in my Glock 27. It felt pretty hot. I purchased a few more boxes in appreciation for the free box.
However, usually I carry Federal 135gr. PD Hydra-Shoks. The Federal PD has a softer recoil, and I can get back on target a little faster. I know some cops who use the Federal PD's for that reason. I think it has pretty good penetration and expansion too.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

I carry Triton 135gr in my duty Glock 23. We tested this ammo extensively. Including firing it into an old vest. The expansion was impressive and I found the recoil manageable. The one magazine test I read showed this round to have a 98% first shot stop on the Fuller scale and expansion to a .68 caliber slug. I've used this round exclusively for 3 years now without a prob. Recently Triton switched to a BHP due to recent law enforcement studies concerning bullet design and deformation in different medias. The BHP seemed to perform better.

Be Safe
Mike

Proload 165 gr. tactical JHP. John uses a Speer Gold Dot and nickle plated cases. Nice shooting, nice looking and perfect performance. Just what Proload wanted.

Take a peek at www.proload.com

X

Back