Caught A Couple Piggies

thallub

These 60 pound pigs were in a trap this morning. One was male, the other female. They were 50 pound pigs before they jointly consumed the 20 pounds of soured corn in the trap.

Another trap had captured hogs but they got out somehow.

I'm envious of the neat appearance of the bed of your hunting truck. Mine doesn't get used for much else other than working the hunting stuff and it's an absolute rat's nest most of the time. Nice pigs!

That's the difference ! I haul all that stuff around with me all the time. Sometimes in the summer the bed of the truck starts smelling almost as bad as a recently used trap.

Honest question, how do you trap a pig??

There are two kinds of hog traps: Portable traps and corral traps. Corral traps are best but they are not easily moved.

This is one of my portable traps baited and set:

This is the same trap with hog inside:

Will they be butchered for human consumption?

The two young hogs in my OP were field dressed and given to folks who wanted the meat. That is not always the case.

Since about 2000 i have field dressed, often skinned and given away hundreds of wild hogs. Several events have forced a change in my policy:

1. No one wants a hog that has not been field dressed.

2. No one wants a big boar hog, field dressed and skinned or not.

3. People got used to having clean field dressed hogs delivered: Some started ordering hogs by sex and weight. A couple guys refused hogs that did not meet their specs. Some expected me to transport the hogs to the processor.

4. i became 78 years old.

i call and ask folks if they want the animals. If there are no takers i sometimes take the hams and back straps for our freezer. Otherwise the animal/s are dragged off and left for the coyotes.

Last edited:
"You got a 6 yr. edge in age on me thallub."
Just saying:
As we get older you know how us old fellers get kind'a melancholy about Mother Nature and her animals. Good to hear some of the pigs get a new home in some others freezer occasionally. "Oh NO!! its snowing as I type" :rolleyes:

thallub....I can totally relate to your experiences. I am a few years younger than you (72), but I can not do all the work for others like I did some years back....plus I just tired of catering to others needs like you mentioned. I still save hind legs and sometimes backstraps, prep them and into the freezer. I have shooting matches I attend where I take the frozen meat and it disappears quickly. A couple neighbors like to smoke it up too...but no more skinning and gutting them for giveaways.

Coyotes and buzzards are not in the least demanding as to field preparation of hogs destined for their next meal.

Back