Cattleman's Carbine

• Thread starter Thread starter PreserveFreedom
  • Start date Start date
P

PreserveFreedom

For years, I have seen a reproduction of the Cattleman's Carbine in the Cabela's catalog. I was bored today and thinking about it so I went to look and it isn't on their website. I think they dropped it. Has anyone seen these or had any experience with them? Why has popularity never caught on? Seems to me that they would be a hoot offun for a cowboy action shoot in leiu of a levergun.

A look in the current Cabela's print catalog shows that the Cattleman's Carbine is still there, under "Single Action Black Powder Revolvers":

Cattleman's Carbine .44 Caliber

Used by Union officers and scroungers during the American Civil War, this .44 caliber revolving carbine is built on the same frame as the original 1858 New Army Remington Revolver. Extremely rare in its original form. Six-shot cylinder. Polished brass trigger guard and buttplate. Walnut stock. Barrel is 18" long. Overall length is 35". Weight: 5 lbs.

HB-21-0988 -- Carbine only . . . . . . . .$289.99

It's a beauty, in an odd sort of way. An interesting piece of history, too. If I had the cash I'd buy one just to try it out! Anyone else know anything more about these?

Do a search for "Cattleman's Carbine" on Yahoo! and you'll turn up some interesting stuff.

Oh good...I got scared for a minute. I just looked under rifles. The only problem with them is, I don;t think they are legal for muzzleloading season, because you don't load them through the muzzle. Still would be tons of fun for a cowboy shoot.

I'd wear thick gauntlet gloves when firing it. The large streak of hot grease and powder fouling down the front of my '58 copy doesn't inspire much confidence for putting my hands in front of that cylinder.

Cattleman

Your never supposed to put your hand forward of the cylinder. Even the brochures from the 1800's tell you that.
A firm two handed grip on the grip is whats called for.
I shoot a Dragoon with rifle sights and an attached butt stock and its wicked on ground-hogs up to 75 yards. It only has a 7 inch barrel.
I'm sure if I played with it like some of the other guns I have I could get it in better. But it is a lot of fun.

The cattleman's carbine is a single action cap-n-ball revolver with a long barrel and stock. One of the post mentioned not putting you hands in front of the clyinder. CnB revolvers can have what is called a chain fire. The flash over from the fired clyinder can sometimes ignite on of the other loaded cylinders. If you hand is in front of the clyinder and this happens - you effectively have shoot yourself.

I believe this is, and the fact that many CAS stages require 10 rifle rounds are the two reasons these guns are not used for CAS.

BTW CnB revolvers are a blast to shoot and chain fires can be prevented. I never have problems with my '58, but I still wouldn't but my hand in front of a loaded clyinder when firing.

Back