cattleman sreies 1873

zworld

What's everyone think about these guns. I could click and buy right now lol. 512.00 for the model I'm looking at.

The Ubertis are well made, the only weakness, as with all Colt designed guns from the Walker to the 1873, being the hand spring (an easy fix if it breaks). Otherwise, in heavy use in SASS.

I like mine, the first one is a 2010 and the last one is a 2014 build. I shoot black powder loads and chose the brass grip frame thinking I wouldn't have to worry about sweaty hands affecting the blued ones, and they are about $20 less.

Mine is old from the Uberti/ Ivar Johnson era but it works just fine. Did have to replace a spring but that was NBD.

I stumbled upon one at a great price here locally a couple weeks ago. It looked to be well made, and my Uberti lever 1873 is well made. But I held it in my hand and dry fired it a couple times. Trigger pull seemed excessive and it just didn't impress me.

Sometimes you pick up a gun and it just purrs at you, sometimes you pick one up and it poots in your hand. I didn't like that 1873 at all, and am grateful to the LGS for having one in stock, else I would have purchased one over the internet and been disappointed.

ETA: This is my subjective opinion, which in retrospect I should not have offered. I have no reason to believe that the Cattleman is anything other than a high quality piece. It just wasn't right for *me*. Sorry, really, I even said anything. Wasn't helpful.

Last edited:
I have owned a couple dozen over the years and still have four of them, two .44-40s and two .45 colts. They are well made, tough and reliable revolvers.

Saw one at a gun show (.45LC) not long ago for $350, nice looking gun but I thought it was a bit overpriced at $350.00. But, maybe not?

I have a Uberti "Bisley" which is still the Cattleman frame but a Bisley grip/grip frame. I love it. Excellent quality and it shoots very well. Mine is a 4 3/4" in 357 but I only feed it 38 Spec. as that's what I prefer to re-load.

My next one will be in 45 Colt.

As you have discovered, there are may models - i.e. steel TG/BS, brass TG/BS as well as various finishes.

One thing I'd suggest - if you are going to get one and have several LGS near you, check and see what hey will sell it for. I ordered mine through a LGS - they called Uberti while I was standing there to check on availability and I gave them the "go ahead" nod. Delivery time was two weeks on mine. When all was said and done, they sold it to me for under MSRP and saved me about $60.00 or so.

Now that I have my Uberti Bisley, my 5 1/2" 357 Ruger New Vaquero doesn't get shot as much as it used to - I like the Uberti much better but that's just me. I shoot a variety of cast lead bullet weights out of my Bisley from a variety of molds - 115 gr, 121 gr, 150 gr and 158 gr. All work well out of it.

Howdy

Well, you asked what we think of them. I had one about ten years ago and it was a dog. Trigger pull was the worst of any revolver I ever owned. And the barrel was not screwed in properly, the front sight leaned to one side. Made it not shoot to point of aim very well. I got rid of it and used the money as a down payment on a Vaquero.

Took a chance on this one a few years later. Much better, I still have it.

cattleman02_zps83fdbdd2.jpg

Regarding broken hand springs, not just the hand spring but the split trigger/bolt spring can break in these too. But they can break in a Colt too.

Broken bolt and trigger/bolt spring from a 2nd Gen Colt SAA:

brokenspringandbolt.jpg

All in all Uberti makes a pretty good single action revolver for the money. It ain't a Colt, but you ain't paying Colt prices. Every once in a while they make a dog, but most of them are pretty good.

I bought two Uberti Cattlemen millenium finished 4 5/8" barreled "Hombres" for $250 each about two years ago. They both had a plunger style (pretty unbreakable) hand spring.

Have three and a half of them

Cattleman in .357 with a 7 inch barrel
Uberti Iver Johnson in .44 with a 7 inch barrel - I bought this pistol "broke" on Gunbroker for 175.00. The break was an out of place trigger and bolt spring. Fixed for free. I roughed it up a little to make it look old.
Cattleman in .45LC and 5.5 inch barrel

The half is a Taylor's Smoke wagon also in .45LC and 5.5 inch barrel.

I don't see a nickels worth of difference between the Smoke wagon and the Cattleman. (Exception - the grips)

I can compare these with a .45LC Vaquero. After four Cattleman pistols the Ruger takes a little getting used to.

To me they shoot about the same.

I love em.

Currently have 16 1873 style Uberti's, along with many other models, and wouldn't hesitate to buy more. Leaf springs are going to break, always have, always will, but the breakages are usually few and far between. I've had a few trigger springs break over the years, a couple of pawl springs, and one broken bolt just like in Driftwood's bottom picture, but it's not something that's in my mind every time I pull the trigger.

Back