Catch yourself in an almost . . . oops.

Prof Young

Was shooting the 1911 45 today. The indoor range I shoot at has metal dividers between the lanes. At one point, mid sessions, I noticed a smug of something on the left side of the slide. As I reached toward it with my left hand I realized I had the gun pointed at the side of the booth and . . . my finger was still on the trigger. Yipes. At least I caught myself and knew is was a safety violation.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Oh yeah - probably one of the stupidest things a human being ever did was how I think of mine.

I had installed a laser on my Wife's Browning Buckmark Micro. As I was adjusting it, the muzzle blast had gotten on the front of the laser and was distorting the beam.
With finger still on the trigger, I started to turn the gun around - towards my face - so I could look directly at the front of the laser!

I caught myself before I did it - but - still - to this day - I cannot explain, even to myself, why I would even think of doing something that stupid.

ND's usually/always require the violation of at least 2 of the 4 safety rules. "If" you accept that an ND is a matter of "WHEN" and not "IF", hopefully, you'll only have an "oops" when you could have had an ND. I've had a few oops...

Back