Casull

.45 Colt & 454 Casull-

Heya, the current 454 Casull brass is not only longer but heavier/thicker walled than the .45 Colt because of the much higher pressures of the Casull. The Casull also uses magnum small rifle primers while the .45 Colt uses large pistol primers. Roy

Didn't Dick Casull start with the .45 LC and work his way up? It's not an unusual beginning -- just look at the .38/.357 and the .44 Spec/.44 Mag.
And do you have to use rifle primers? Wouldn't magnum pistol primers be hot enough?

Yep, he started by hotrodding the .45 Colt back in the mid 50's and developed the .454 from that.
I think the reason rifle primers are recommended is because of the heavier cup rather than a "hotter" primer, pressures of the .454 are rather extreme and the thicker rifle primers resist perforation better. Same reason for using a small primer rather than a large one too, smaller surface area for the pressure to act on.

If you've got a Model 83 revolver from FA in .454 Casull, it's not a good idea to shoot .45 LC using the same cylinder. The barrel and cylinder are line bored together, as I understand it, and in order to shoot .45LC one needs a .45LC cylinder for the 83 frame. The gun has to go back to FA and be fitted for the .45LC cylinder. Because of the extraordinary pressures and tight tolerances, one can't treat the .454 Casull like the .38/.357 Mag or .44/.44 Mag.

I tried some .45LC from Black Hills (lead) in my Model 83. Lead fouling stopped it up in less than 15 rounds. Needless to say, Homey don't do dat no more.

Back