Castle Doctrine in Kansas

prater

I live in Texas where the Castle Doctrine extends my dwelling to include my vehicle. So naturally I carry in my vehicle frequently. I do not have a CCW. I am planning a two day trip to Kansas next week and I normally carry a handgun in my vehicle whenever I travel. I've never been to Kansas, do they have a similar law about carrying in vehicles? I'm probably going to to carry either way, but I would like to know if it is legal to carry concealed in a vehicle in Kansas. Or Oklahoma for that matter since I will be driving through.

Thanks

Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, concealed handgun permits accepted by KS make the holder exempt from all local open carry bans.

So does this mean I must carry openly? For instance if I wanted to carry a gun in my suitcase I would be breaking the law?

Locked in trunk is o.k... I think if it's loaded, inside the vehicle, it must be exposed.
Same in Az.

Last edited:
Okla. dose have the castle

Dont know about kansas...I think without a carry....you cant have it loaded in the car in either state....

Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal
The only places I am aware of that are a concern are: Junction City and Wichita. Not sure about Topeka, Lawrence, and KC.

Back