Casting Weather!

TXGunNut

Perfect casting weather today! Sunny & cool (57) and just enough breeze to carry off the fumes. Have a venison roast in the crockpot and pork chunks marinating in the fridge to grind into sausage later. Still looking for something else to cook so guess I better fire up the casting furnace to replace the boolits I fired during load development recently. Current project is the .32 Spcl, could use some of St Elmer's boolits for my 45 Colt RBH.

Beautiful day, indeed. Now the proud owner of 120 or so 323-170 RD boolits and a similar qty of 452424 Lyman/Keith boolits. The .32 Special is my current project, hope my new rifle likes these AC boolits better than the heat treated ones. Will be trying the LeveRevolution powder as well.

All winter is good casting weather...in a few months it will be too hot to fire up the pot unless I start at 5 AM.:(

BTW, I had barbecued Polish Sausage, yours sounds better.:)

Winters are pretty short around here, need to get busy! 5A in the summertime might work but I like to sleep in until at least sunup on weekends. Guess I could put the lead furnace on a timer so it would be ready to pour right after my coffee. During our version of summer lately sunrise means 80 degrees and climbing fast!
Venison pot roast recipe needs a bit of work but it was quite enjoyable. Turnips were a nice touch, carrots and potatoes excellent as well. Think the venison needed 6-7 hrs in the crock pot rather than 8.

Perfect casting weather for me yesterday. 27 degrees, partly sunny with a slight breeze. Well, I didn't do any sweating anyway.

Actually, my WW stash was getting too big, so I spent about 4 hours pouring about 200 pounds of ingots. I also had about 75 pounds of old (large) sinkers and fishnet weights that I melted down. They appear to be much closer to pure lead. I'll reserve that for BP ball.

No shiny bullets? I'm jealous, mostly housework today. If I didn't think she'd set fire to the place and run away screaming when she saw a few :rolleyes: guns and a small :rolleyes: stash of ammo I'd hire a maid.

Aye... casting weather. ;)

I spent much of today smelting raw linotype (still in sentences) into ingots. ...I really need more than one mold. Using a single Lee ingot mold took forever.
attachment.php

...Until the sun went down, and I lost feeling in my knees. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

I just finished sorting some .430" 200 gr RNFPs and 310 gr RNFPs I cast out of straight linotype, for mold measurements and alloy tweaking. With the bullets neatly stacked in layers, a 4 oz mushroom can holds just shy of 3.5 lbs. (Incredibly important information, I know.)

attachment.php

(You can only see 200s in the pic. Something weird is going on with one half of one cavity in the 310 mold. I may have to polish the cavity. I'm glad I decided to cast with it today. ;))

Attachments

• IMG_3368_640.jpg
    IMG_3368_640.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3369_640.jpg
    IMG_3369_640.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3374_640.jpg
    IMG_3374_640.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 66
The pure linotype bullets aren't intended to be loaded. It was just an easy way for me to cast small some smaller 'ingots' for alloy mixing. These 'ingots' just happen to look like bullets.

Back