Cast my first bullets tonight!

maillemaker

So I cast my first bullets tonight! 230 grain, round nose. Man, my new 20 pound Lee production pot goes HOT. I got my lead melted, and then turned it down to 6. Checked with a thermometer and I was up over 900 degrees! I added a few more chunks of lead to bring the temp down - finally got a consistent 650 degrees at about level 3.5.

Had a few cold shots and then it made good bullets. I kind of expected crisper grooves, but this is for tumble lube. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

It's tough to beet the Lee setup - nice choice! I too have had trouble filling out the groves totaly. I think a lot of it comes down to the alloy and how clean the lead is. The batch I have in now is filthy.

That reminds me - I should probably cast a few this winter yet. Nothing worse than casing in the summer when it's 90F.

Congratulations maillemaker!

What kind of mold did you use?

I have an RCBS 45-230-RN (230gr round nose) and a Lyman 452374 (225gr round nose). I love the RCBS mold–it is super easy to cast with, and it closely matches the profile of a standard FMJ bullet. I wish that RCBS made molds larger than 2 cavities, it would sure make casting more efficient.

done a lil more castin today... after we done some clay bustin..

100_3016.jpg

100_3017.jpg

Tkx Steve...

... like some of the others here... I like to cast this time of year...

... casting when its in the 90s dont take a long time to get rather toasty.

Disco I could not agree more. For me perfect weather for casting is cold, wet, and crappy. Since I will not be shooting in God awful weather I can do some casting for when the weather is nice, and all I have to do is go to the range. Shoot to slide lock, reload, and repeat till all ammo is gone. Then go home and start the process all over again.

Back