Cast Lee .452-255-RF @ 800 fps...just for paper?

A buddy of mine borrowed my Lee .452-255-RF mold to cast boolits for his .45 ACP. He is wanting to experiment with this heavy for gun boolit as a woods/defense load to be used in east Texas and Louisiana. He is not pushing it hard...keeping his loads around 800 fps. My thought is to push it more than that.

Granted, we don't often have big threats in the woods, here. But, for his intended purpose, is a 255 grain boolit @ 800 fps even worth carrying??

Thanks

It's better than nothing , but I wouldn't intentionally hunt anything larger than a dog

Faster would be much better for serious work

I don't think there is anything in Texas or Louisiana that could live through a well placed shot of 255gn at 800 fps. I know a 250gn at 850 fps will shoot through a 125lb Alabama Whitetail and kick up dirt behind it. It will travel more than 3/4 way through from chest to roset on about same size deer. Both shots were between 50 and 75 yards and through a 45colt.

Last edited:
The 255 can do well from the .45 ACP, I've ran them at around 950 fps from my Glock 21. It's going to penetrate deep so it would be a good option. Power Pistol is really good for getting you there.

Back