Cast HP expansion results 45 Colt

Ike Clanton

For anyone interested I attached a picture of a 255 Grain cast HP made by GT bullets. My load chrono’s at 1000fps from my 5.5 in blackhawk. I didn’t have ballistics gel so I used water. Obviously this is not an ideal test media but it worked. Expansion was approximately 7/8 of an inch.

Attachments

• 1C51BD26-588E-4457-972B-9BCD7664FADC.jpeg
    1C51BD26-588E-4457-972B-9BCD7664FADC.jpeg
    868.1 KB · Views: 94
Ike,

FWIW, a better every day expansion media is water-soaked newsprint. Not as hard as just water, plus you get to see and measure penetration.

Don

I agree. I plan on buying some ballistics gel soon and will try to test multiple hand loads. May even plug a deer with one this fall for some real life testing.

Don't worry about expansion with the 45 Colt. A 280gr SWC at 1050 will exit any deer or hog, from any angle, leaving a large exit. My son popped a 150# Sow in the eye and the exit was a fist sized hole in the ham!

Thanks to the OP for posting this, I'd never heard of GT bullets before and their prices and variety of calibers is awesome. I don't see case lead hollow points for .32, but they've got some and they've also got a 325gr hollow point that's gas checked for .45 caliber. Been looking for something I can load to use in my Redhawk and that is half the price of 300gr XTP's.

Back