cast bullet problem

c.j.sikes

i have a springfield o3-a3 in 30-06. i have ben shooting cast bullet 311466 gc and 54 gr 4831 for years. get about 1 1/4 in. at 100yrs. my friend bought a 111 savage in 30-06 , we loaded some ammo same as mine for him. look like you used a shotgun. we set bullet just a hair short of rifleing, so it did nt jump. sized 308 bullet , lyman mold, lyman sizer, etc. i been loading cast for better part of 60 years and l am stumpted. anyone got a thought? i am ready to try it. thanks cjs

Check your rifle. The '03 should have a two grove barrel and you can get by with .308 cast bullets. However the savage probably has a 4 or 6 grove barrel. It may require a little larger bullet, sized to .311 maybe.

his rifle shoots factory good. my gun is 03A3 AND IS 4 GROOVE 1 IN 10 TWIST slug bore some years back and found it to be 309 but at the time all i had was 308 sizer. strange but it worked. just got back from my range where we shot in 20 gr. 2400 and the 311466 bullet.group is better but shooting about 6 in. low. i have about to decide what we need is a 1 in 12 twist. i will try 311 sizer, thanks for input. cjs

What's your twist rate? I bet that Springfield is a 1:12 or maybe a 1:14, whereas that Savage is probably a 1:10. You might be spinning the bullet apart in the Savage.

RPM matters to a cast bullet and a 1:10 will spin it a lot quicker than a 1:12.

I've got a Winchester 94 that loves cast bullets, however, when I put that same load into a Handi Rifle, the bullet is spun just fast enough that the bullet comes apart. It's easy to see on a 50 yard target, as the parts of the bullets coming off make little tear-drop cuts in the paper.

RPM = Muzzle Velocity X 720/Twist rate.

A cast bullet going 1750 fps in a 1:12 barrel = 105,000 rpm.

A cast bullet going 1750 fps in a 1:10 barrel -= 126,000 rpm.

Interesting, ain't it?

Going along with what's already said about twist rate, AND size (.002 over is a good rule-of-thumb), consider alloy. IF you're spinning the bullet apart in a tight twist, it should be apparent with some leading issues. Maybe toughen up you alloy a little, try water-dropping or heat treating. Water-dropped WW's should cure to about a reliable 22BHN and handle some pretty tough treatment. I've recovered quite a few from my berm that I swear could almost be reloaded and fired again as-is due to lack of deformation.

Springfield '03 has a 10" twist, same as the Savage. Military .30 cal bores were all 10" twists from the Krag through the Garand. Only the M14 ever had a 12", AFAIK.

There may be a tighter chamber in the Savage and a shorter throat. That may be requiring different alignment practice with the bullet. It may also raise pressure past the threshold the casting alloy is suitable for to prevent slumping. I would check with a chronograph. If the Savage has the same 24" barrel length and the velocity is higher, then you'll know the load should be backed off some for it. Also try tuning the seating depth of the bullet, You may need to reduce charge and actually seat a little deeper to get best accuracy if the throat of the Savage is shorter.

Last edited:
thanks a lot for all the good input. it takes a lot of different thought to come up with a workable solution. you folks habe give me a lot to think about and i do thank you a bunch. cjs

I've got a Winchester 94 that loves cast bullets, however, when I put that same load into a Handi Rifle, the bullet is spun just fast enough that the bullet comes apart. It's easy to see on a 50 yard target, as the parts of the bullets coming off make little tear-drop cuts in the paper.

Sorry, I'm NOT buying that. As in I don't believe it. Lead bullets just don't disintegrate in flight. You could spin one fast enough to loose some of the lube from the groves, that could put marks or even punctures in/on the target.

Of course there's the Hornady sx bullets in .223 that are well known to self destruct on the way to the target.

Lots of factors as to why one boolit will shoot well in one rifle, but not another. You have to do the work of fitting a load to the rifle.

Back