Case head impressions

EQUALIZER

I never had this problem on any other semi-autos that I've seen, but an aquaintance let me shoot his 1911 the other day. After he left, I noticed that all of his brass had a "stamped" impression, (as opposed to a scored one), on all of his brass on the surface where the head stamp is. They were all uniform size and shape. Would I be wrong in assuming that his extractor is too long?

The case mouths were dented in and about half way down, each one had a 1/8" line running horizontal w/the mouth which looked to me, (w/out examining and measuring the port), like his ejection port needed lowered and flared more. Does anyone know of other reasons for this?

Best regards,

eq

The mark on the head of the cartridge

is likely the ejector mark where the case slams against the ejector before it is driven out the port.

Thanks BigG,

BTW, Sorry for not being clear. Paragraph one and two are separate problems.
Would the cause for this be real hot loads, because I've not noticed it in personal guns or others even when shooting +p ?

eq

Equalizer, the mark on the case head is probably from the ejector. Possible the load is a little hot for the recoil spring being used. The dented case mouths are caused by the brass hitting the side of the ejection port on their way out of the gun. Lowering the port will stop it. George

Hi, guys,

With very hot loads, the headstamp can actually be blurred and take on a flattened look. If that is the case, I hope he knows what he is doing and has a good pistol. I have had this happen when using a hefty load of Unique (I will not give it here) and a 255 grain "long" Colt bullet for bowling pin shooting. The pins move smartly, but I discard the cases.

Case marking can be cured by enlarging the ejection port or tuning the ejector to alter the angle of ejection. The latter approach is cheaper and does not weaken the slide.

Jim

Thanks George and Jim!

Some of the primers were flattened, so I suspected pressure, while others weren't. The actual case head stamps weren't flattened, but that ejector impression seemed pretty deep. BTW, this particular 1911 that I was asking about was 45ACP.

Funny thing is that three of us were shooting different
pistols too, all SIG 225s. All were using the same lot of Win white box hardball in 9mm and had the flattened primers, and head stamp impressions! Of course no ejector marks, though. First time I ever ended up with such a hot lot from Winchester.

Later shot a 9x23 1911 in Win factory white box hard ball. Out of two mags, all primers flat and one blown! Whew! Pretty high pressures for factory ammo. Just wish they'd use rifle primers, VV and go 1600fps +.

Best regards,

Back