Case Color Hardening Trick

Roamin_Wade

Is there any way to bring back the colors from a receiver that’s been allowed to lightly corrode on top of the case hardening? If not, is it easy to have it professionally redone? I want to bring mine back. I have an old Savage Model 24 that’s seen better days so it’s the equivalent to having a single shot shotgun case hardened. How much should something like that cost?

The only way to do it is to totally strip the receiver finish and re-color case it.

As above, that's going to cost some real money, more then the gun is worth.
If it's something that has personal family or individual meaning or value, then you could have it done but the cost is going to be high.

Contact classic firearms in Illinois they do great work color case hardening. If you strip the receiver and send it to them the cost shouldn't be much over $100.

I've never tried out those BC chemicals, but I can say they are significantly less expensive on Amazon. If you wanted to try something like that, you would want to practice on some scrap steel first. You'll probably never get a perfect match from them, but they could camouflage the damage considerably.

Back