Case cleaning media

cdoc42

In another thread we engaged in a discussion about case cleaning media and PetSmart Reptile bedding was suggested. I thought I'd start a new thread rather than add a tag to the other one.

As an aside, I could not access a PetSmart website due to a notice of denial by my server (??).

In any event, I went to Amazon, where I previously bought 10lb of untreated corn cob media for $38.78. I found reptile bedding, 72 quarts for $34.95. It is coconut chips or "bark Fir" and I wondered how long you must tumble compared to corn cob. I don't use Walnut because it cleans but the cases are not shining as seen with corn cob.

I also noticed "Zirconia Composite beads", 2.5lb for $19.79 and "Ceramic Filler Media" 3lb for $14.99. Has anyone tried these cleaners?

I use reptile bedding walnut for cleaning. Then once I resize the cases I would tumble again with corn to remove lube.

Midway USA Frankford Arsenal - Walnut Shell Treated Brass Polishing Media .
It is the right size ... pet store bedding is not the correct size .
The walnut shells last a long time ...they are hard .
The media is treated with the correct brass polishing agent (not car wax)
It is not Dusty .
It lasts a long time .
You don't have to buy additives and guess how much to put in .
Too much liquid additives shorten polishing life of media , when it gets too much car polish it gets clumpy and sticks to brass ... wasted money because you have to throw it away .

Midway USA is having a sale ... it's in stock ... get the Treated Walnut Shell Media for polishing brass bright . Untreated walnut shell and corn cob is for cleaning not polishing ! Corn cob is much softer than walnut shell and wears out sooner .

I been cleaning and polishing for +50 years ... have tried everything ...Rice , Kitty Litter, Sand , Lizzard and Snake Bedding , Metal Blasting Media...

In the long run ...the Best and Most Economical is the Frankford Arsenal Treated Walnut Shell ... I've tried it all ... I don't buy anything if I can make it myself or buy something cheaper that works ... Trust Me ...
Midway USA , it works best and cheapest in long run .
Gary

$16.99
Quantity
4.612 ReviewsWrite a Review
75%of respondents would recommend this to a friend
DESCRIPTION
Untreated Walnut Media 15 Lbs
by MIDSOUTH RELOADING & ACCESSORIES
Coarse 20/30 grit

$16.99
Quantity
4.612 ReviewsWrite a Review
75%of respondents would recommend this to a friend
DESCRIPTION
Untreated Walnut Media 15 Lbs
Coarse 20/30 grit

$13.99
Quantity
4.914 ReviewsWrite a Review
100%of respondents would recommend this to a friend
DESCRIPTION
Untreated Corncob Media 10 Lbs

Fine grit 14/20

I add NuFinish to corn cob Media. I do not see a need for "treated media".

Last edited:
I use half walnut and half corn cob and a capful of liquid Turtle Wax (Wally was out of NuFinish at the time). Regular pistol brass takes about ab hour or two (depending on how dirty) in my Thumbler's Tumbler. I found half and half to do a better job than than one or the other.

Back