CAS Shooting Plates

tonygrz

Inactive
Hi,

Just saw Shooting Gallery TV and it was on "over 50" CAS shooting. They were shooting at steel plates. Question: Don't you have to worry about ricochets?? It seemed that when the balls hit the plate, there was a shower of bits of lead hitting the ground in front of the steel plates.

Wanted to know about this because I wanted to make some steel plates for my own BP pistol range on my place. How thick should the plates be? Any info would be appreciated.

Still haven't fired my new BP pistols. Too dry. I'm sure most of you have heard about the wildfires in the Texas Panhandle. It's so dry around here, just west of Ft Worth, that ranchers are not driving the pastures due to the possibility of fires from their trucks. I'm not even driving my tractor and shredding my fields because the blades might hit a rock and spark a fire. So BP shooting is out of the question until it rains. Will give you range reports on both the 51 Navy and 58 Remi after the next rain. Maybe in a year or two...........................:(

sundance44s

Splatter is the only real threat useing soft lead bullets , and there is a lot of splatter going on at a sass shoot .. they require everyone to wear eye protection and long sleve shirts ... and you`ll still get splattered by a hot piece of lead once in a while , depending on where ya stand ... feels like a bee sting .. but soft lead only bullets ..when they hit a steel plate they flatten out completely like a quarter ...half inch steel is best , but quarter inch will work , my club uses both , the thinner needing repairs quite often .

Thanks Sundance. I have a local source for steel plates of both 1/4 & 3/8s. No 1/2 but since I'll only use them once in a while, I think they'll do. Thanks again.

Tony

The targets are also angled downward slightly in order to deflect most of the splashback toward the ground. As has been stated there can still be quite a bit of splatter at a CAS match. Positioning of the loading and unloading tables is important to protect shooters and spectaters from splashback. One match that I attend the unloading table is located in a spot where you catch quite a bit of spatter from the shotgun targets. At another match a couple years ago I caught a nearly intact .44 slug in the neck It was a richochet from the next stage over from the one where I was shooting. I left a pretty nasty bruise but didn't break the skin.

I’m kicking up a pretty old thread here but I guess that’s what the search function is for.

I’ve been using ¼” plates for some time with good results. I had a bright idea the other day and figured that old steel frying pans would make great targets. Browsed the local Goodwill stores and bought a couple to use with my lead cowboy action loads. Even with the light loads at 40 yards, this was the result. Guess those pans aren’t actually steel but cast-iron. Back to the drawing board.

targetpan.jpg
targetpan2.jpg

Back