Cartridge ejection?

adam3

I am planning on purchasing a revolver and am conserned about the cartridge ejection. Where does a revolver eject the spent cartridges? Do you need special ammo? All replies are greatly appreciated.

I SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT KNOWING THAT THERE ARE 5 MILLION NRA MEMBERS READY TO TAKE UP ARMS AGAINST TYRANNY...FORIEGN OR DOMESTIC.

Where ever you want to eject them: into your hand, on the ground, etc..

You just need ammo that matches the markings on the gun.

Hi, Adam3,

Being a bit more basic. Unlike an autoloading pistol, ejection in a revolver is purely manual. You eject the cartridges in whatever way the revolver requires from its design.

Most modern double action revolvers have a swing-out cylinder; when the cylinder is unlatched and swung to the side, pushing the ejector rod extracts/ejects all the cartridges, loaded or empty, in the cylinder. You can eject them into your hand, a box, the shooting bench, or the ground, depending in part on the situation and whether you want to reload the cases.

Solid frame single action revolvers of the Colt and Ruger types have a cylinder that can be removed but is normally left in place for reloading. A loading gate is opened and the cylinder is turned manually until each chamber in turn lines up with an ejector rod that lies under the barrel. Pushing back that rod ejects one case, again loaded or unloaded. Then the cylinder is manually turned to the next chamber. In most revolvers of that type loaded rounds, and sometimes even empty cases, will fall out when the loading gate is opened and the cylinder turned with the gun pointed upward.

Break top revolvers (single or double action) eject all their cases at once when the latch is pushed/pulled/lifted (there are variations) and the gun is "broken" at the pivot point. Most break top revolvers are obsolete, but many are still around and there have been some reproductions of collectible ones.

HTH

Jim

adam3,

This certainly sounds like a joke....... If you TRULY don't know the answer to these questions, you aren't ready to buy a revolver. If you really are that new to revolvers/guns, I would suggest that you talk to someone familiar with guns (one of us gun-nuts), or go to a gun-shop and politely ask them to review/demonstrate the basics of how a revolver functions, as well as gun safety. If they're not real busy and you explain you are a novice, most gun-shop folks will work with you. And make sure it's a REAL gun shop, not a department store that happens to sell guns. Many of those clerks don't know much about guns themselves.

Please don't think I'm dumping on you. If you really don't know these answers, then I'm serious in stating that you need to become a little more knowledgeable before possessing a gun. We want to welcome you to the sport of firearms, not read about another accidental shooting victim.

Good luck!

Hi, guys,

Adam 3, Big Lou is correct, and I thank him. I expect you have been thinking about a gun purchase and perhaps reading magazines or catalogs. While I tried to answer the question as it was asked, I realize that I did not take that into consideration.

I recommend you ask a friend who has a gun of the type you are interested in to go to the range with you and let you try his gun. If possible, try several different kinds. Then you will be able to better judge what you want.

Jim

Back