Carrying your BP revolver...

Outside of the range, I'll take mine out on the club property for those just in case situations like a Coyote that needs to go away, Rabid Dog, or just a tree stump, but mostly because it's a load more fun & cheaper to shoot than my M1911A1 .45ACP.

Now if you mean on a public hiking trail you may want to find out the regulations on firearms on or around the area before you take any out because some areas frown on firearms in those areas.

I carry an 1858 Remington with the 5 1/2 barrel all the time ..I do use a conversion cylinder , but I`m a wheel gun man all the way and the 1858 Remington fits my hands better than any ..My choice the wheel gun and a single action to boot is because when I use to carry an autoloader I would never carry it with a round under hammer so it would take 2 hands to bring it into battery ...with a single action I only need the use of one hand , and if 5 shots from a 45 won`t stop a an attack from man or beast I just need to run anyway or play dead .

Well said 44s, could not have put it better myself.
I to take my 58 everywhere i go, hey i live in arizona
the gun state.;):D:D

I've hunted with C&B revos but for ease of reloading I prefer to carry cartridge guns. Their great at the range or short walks however.

Well at least his pistol choice starts with a .4XX.. :D

Now as far as modern guns go, I carry my Cocked & Locked M1911A1 .45ACP when it's in a city concealed but for out where a concealed weapon isn't necessary My Pietta 1858 with the 5.5" barrel is a fine weapon for defence & for plinking around.
That .457 144gr. Ball sure is some good medicine for a many types of ailments out in the woods. :D

Well at least his pistol choice starts with a .4XX..

Now as far as modern guns go, I carry my Cocked & Locked M1911A1 .45ACP when it's in a city concealed but for out where a concealed weapon isn't necessary My Pietta 1858 with the 5.5" barrel is a fine weapon for defence & for plinking around.
That .457 144gr. Ball sure is some good medicine for a many types of ailments out in the woods.

I used to carry an AMT Hardballer till I got the Glock. Glock is much lighter, and holds 15 rounds of jacketed hollowpoints vs 8 rounds in the Hardballer. Five rounds of 144 gr roundballs in a 5 inch barreled Navy just doesn't stack up either I'm afraid.

With all that said. I dont exactly live in mountain lion or bear country, so the Glock is probably overkill.

Fingers McGee said:
I used to carry an AMT Hardballer till I got the Glock. Glock is much lighter, and holds 15 rounds of jacketed hollowpoints vs 8 rounds in the Hardballer. Five rounds of 144 gr roundballs in a 5 inch barreled Navy just doesn't stack up either I'm afraid.

With all that said. I dont exactly live in mountain lion or bear country, so the Glock is probably overkill.

Well said & quite understandable in todays metropolitan areas but my thoughts are, if I need more than 5 or 8 shots to take care of a bad situation I'm either in a state of WAR where no ammount of firepower is enough or I've stumbled across a huge pack of wolves & I should have carried my Shotgun & my skinning knife. :D

Hammer/Cyl. Slot safety works on Rems

Remington 1858 ASP, Uberti, or Pietta...I carry mine with 6 chambers loaded Holy Black, Cap, and Ball, hammer in the slot. Colts only 5 chambers loaded C&B. .45LC a dollar in one chamber, 5 carts in the rest. I burnt up a dollar some with a Colt Dragoon Address NYC New York. :cool:
28180sk.jpg

I don't do much hikin anymore unless I'm deer huntin. Don't need a revolver then. I used to spend all day down on the river huntin water mocassins and rattlesnakes with a 58 Remington when I was a kid.

Remington 1858 ASP, Uberti, or Pietta...I carry mine with 6 chambers loaded Holy Black, Cap, and Ball, hammer in the slot.
Maybe you already know this, and if so, I apologize, but:
Carrying a percussion revolver with 6 charged and capped and the hammer down on the between-chambers safety notch is less safe than carrying with 5 loaded and the hammer down on the empty chamber regardless of the revolver design. Here's why:

With the hammer down on the between-chamber safety notch the bolt is resting on the surface of the cylinder, between the cylinder stop notches. In this condition the only thing keeping the cylinder from rotating into battery is the hammer in the safety notch on the back of the cylinder. If the hammer is pulled back inadvertently it only needs to move a short distance until it clears the notch for the cylinder to rotate. In addition, the cylinder needs to rotate only 30 degrees until it's in battery, and it will stop in battery because the bolt will engage a cylinder stop notch. The hammer will then be free to fall on a charged, capped chamber.

With the hammer down on an empty chamber the bolt is engaged in a cylinder stop notch, and both the bolt and hammer are resisting any cylinder rotation. If the hammer is pulled back inadvertently, it must move back substantially further to clear the nipple recess AND to cause the bolt to move free of the cylinder stop notch before the cylinder is free to rotate than in the above case. Also, the cylinder needs to rotate twice as far (60 degrees) before a charged and capped chamber comes into battery.

The latter case is safer by simple geometry; whether its enough safer to warrant not carrying that extra round is a matter for personal choice. Frankly, considering the possible consequences of an inadvertent discharge, I believe it's worth it. But to each his own.

I carry mine loaded with six. Have done so for 39 years. I don't advocate anybody else doing it tho.

Only in your opinion

Mykeal, Yes I am very aware after doing this about 30 yrs. Let me presume you are not that familiar with a Remington revolver hammer and cylinder safety feature. A functional Rem in proper working order has a slot about as deep as the hammer resting on an empty chamber/cone. Along woth that the mainspring on a standard Rem takes two men an a boy to pull the hammer back. With that in mind this I why I carry 6 shots in a Remington and not on a Colt.
I am sure you are aware of this, as am I...yes it is by personal practice and safety of the Rems and myself that I do exactly as I have stated.
This is not meant to change anyone's shooting practices or teach any new shooters the right way. Only what I do for me.

SG

Back