"Carrying" without a gun...awareness and such (long)...

Sciri

I'd been thinking about purchasing a handgun for the past year or so and, about two weeks ago, finally decided on a full size Springfield 1911-A1. Great gun, but that's not the purpose of this post. I've always been more aware of my surroundings than the average Joe but, since my teen years, have never had to actually use my awareness in a tense situation (moved from Boston to Podunk Nowhere, PA).

I realize that the 1911-A1 is not the best choice to carry, but my criteria for purchasing a handgun was for target shooting first, house defense second and carrying with a license in the vehicle third. If I get proficient enough, I may carry it on my person, but I doubt it. I will more than likely buy a compact carry of some sort before I carry the full size (hard to conceal gun on belt is just asking for trouble).

Regardless, I was in a situation about a week ago (a week after I bought the gun) where I wish I had been carrying. I had just finished filling the tank on my car, replaced the nozzle, closed the gas cap and started walking the 30 feet or so back to the main building (24 hour convenience store) to pay. I had made it about 15 feet when a slightly intoxicated older male wobbled into the parking lot riding an extremely expensive ($1,500) carbon fiber mountain bike. I was wearing jeans, tshirt and an unbuttoned short sleeve hiking shirt at the time.

Now, I have never carried before, but I lived in Mission Hill in Boston a couple years ago during my teenage starving hacker artist phase. Between that, and the fact that I spent quite a bit of time in the bad part of Chinatown, I have developed a sense for those around me. Also, an ex-"unnamed government agency" type used to work as a photographer for my Dad, so I had a lot of unofficial training in the arts of defense, awareness, handgun control under stress, etc.

Anyway, this drunk rode right up to me and I immediately took a defensive posture...my weak arm instinctively moved across my stomach, I rotated so my weak side was facing the man and my right arm swept my shirt back where the holster "should" be and I hooked my thumb into my right pocket, "pretending" to be ready to draw. I was told to use this method by the above-mentioned government guy to stay "in practice" in case I ever did decide to carry. Basically, use the same movements when you're unarmed as you would when you're armed.

As the man hobbled off the bike and mumbled something about me buying it for $300 (stolen?) as a Christmas gift for a child, he started to circle around me toward my car. Since my hand was already looped in my pocket and I carry my panic button hanging outside my pocket, I hit the carjack function of my car remote while training my weak side on him, just like someone who's carrying keeps their gun away from the person they're tracking. As he circled around me, I circled with him to keep my weak side facing sideways to him.

The man then mumbled something about "nice Subaru, how much did you pay, you must be able to afford the bike if you can afford that car, give me money" and I asked him to step away from my car. I was now backing up to the door of the gas station, still paranoid. He then, as quickly as an intoxicated old man can, jumped toward my car, and tried to open my door. Since I tripped the carjack function seconds earlier, the alarm immediately went off and cut the fuel the minute he touched the door handle.

He looked extremely disturbed, called me a motherf'er and started walking straight towards me, both hands raised and visible in an offensive stance. I then made an exxagerated motion on the side I was hiding from him and I "drew" my car keys and looped my middle finger through the keychain, still hiding that hand from him behind my thigh (makes a good weapon in a pinch). He stopped immediately stopped and froze dead in his tracks...he assumed I has just pulled a gun!

By now, the store clerk took notice (I was only 5 feet from his door) and must have seen the situation I was in (and my poor excuse for a "gun"). From behind me, I heard the door open and a rather rough voice yell, "a'hole, I told you NOT to come back, I am shooting you now..." I instinctively dropped to the ground and rolled sideways, something I learned in a similar situation in Boston one evening.

The drunk tripped over himself and ran, yelling something about calling the police. I was very shaken and the clerk was breathing heavily. Turns out, the man who approached me had robbed two patrons with a pocket knife in past weeks, and this was the first time the clerk had ever drawn a gun. I asked the clerk about the previous incidents, and both times he had only been able to yell at the man after his patrons had already been robbed.

Irony set in, however, when a police car pulled into the parking lot minutes later with the already handcuffed drunk in back. From inside the car, the man was yelling, "those are the two guys who pulled guns on me, I didn't do anything!"

Long story short, the officer asked the clerk for his piece and carry license, checked them, and handed them back. He then asked me for my piece and carry license and I handed him my keys. He got a blank look on his face, thought for a couple seconds, chuckled, handed my keys back and then took the drunk into custody after taking statements.

I don't know if they'll need anything else from me, but I do know that the clerk will have to testify with something because he was a witness to past robberies.

/Sciri/

Interesting story....

I, too, once "faked" a gun... Driving down the road, some jerk was going 45 in a 65 while he was talking on a cell phone... I passed him and gave him a "what a jerk" look and shook my head... I guess he didn't like that so he hung up the phone, sped up and pulled in beside me. He was obviously yelling and cussing at me...

After glancing at him, I ignored him... still driving down the interstate at about 70MPH, he stayed with me for about a mile... I finally said, the HELL with this and reached down toward the passenger side floorboard like I was reaching for my gun...

he SLAMMED on the brakes... I kept going...

Having said that... it is a VERY, VERY bad idea to "fake" having a gun... NEVER, NEVER, do that unless there is ABSOLUTELY NO alternative... retreat - hell, RUN - if at all possible...

OK, Dad2Jane, if that's such a bad idea... why did you do that? Because I couldn't retreat, even at 70 miles an hour... and also..

<nasty, wicked grin> I know that an automobile in the hands of a skilled driver
has more foot-pounds of killing energy than the biggest handgun on the face of the earth... if he would have tried pulling a gun... he would have been history...

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

Hello,

Glad it all worked out. Interesting and effective "bluff".

Here is a book I recommend for all, whether they carry or not. "The Principles of Personel Defense" by Jeff Cooper. It is available on-line at www.paladin-press.com. about $14 plus shipping and handling.

Something I learned, not really the hard way, is it is better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it. Murphy's Law, you know.

Stay Alert, Stay Alive!!

Seasons Greetings,

Sgt.K

[This message has been edited by Sgt.K (edited December 24, 1999).]

Interesting thread, guys. I've always been afraid of "faking" because I can see someone calling my bluff, and then I'd REALLY be in trouble. I'm still not sure about it, but obviously it worked for you. By the way, if you want to carry a full sized 1911, you might be surprised. I carry one and I have no problems at all, and I'm not a big guy. I guess it's a perspective thing. I've ONLY carried 1911's, (commander or full-sized) and so I don't know what it's like to carry a little gun. Again, I never have anything to complain about...especially with good leather like Mark DeCoveny's stuff. (it really makes a difference)

Back