Carrying Rifle Ammo in the Woods?

3006loader

Do any of you have any methods of carrying rifle ammunition in the woods with you without it jingling around? This would be for a bolt action rifle which has magazines that cost $40 and only carry 4 rounds. I have a way to carry ammo currently (I tape a 9 round rifle buttstock carrier up so it slides snugly on to my belt), But it takes up a lot of real estate on my belt and only allows me to carry 9-18 rounds + 5 in the gun. I was hoping for something that would make me able to carry about 50 rounds of ammo jingle free.

I always have an elastic 9-10 round holder that goes on the stock. If you carry a bag then it's no big deal to throw extra ammo in there. There was also another topic about a certain number of rounds fitting in an altoids tin with papertowel padding to suppress the noise.

5 in the gun and two spare 270s kept warm and comfy under the ear flaps of my Stormy Kromer get me by on those: Still Hunts. On the other hand I leave a loaded spare clip up in my deer stand through-out the season. Never been short of ammo in the field. Been short on deer though.

I tend to carry 10 rounds. The rifle holds 5+1. I keep 2 in each pocket of the orange vest. Never made enough noise to be a problem.

i found a older leather shell holder that has a belt loop and folds up in half with a snap to hold it together and when you unsnapp it it folds down exposing the shells(8), four in each half and they are ready to pull out,no rattel. eastbank.

When I travel away from home to hunt I stack my rounds into a sierra bullet box. If I remember correctly by altering the rounds you can snugly fit 20 .308 or 30/06 based rounds in a box and with a bit of foam on the top you really have to shake the box to make the cases clack together.

Old Bill seems to have a valid point though. Once you start using the rounds, anything within a mile is going to jet, leaving you the opportunity to maybe use a second round as they(it?) leave the sight picture. Now what do you do with the other 48 rounds?

But essentially I think the point was that large number of high velocity rounds plus silence does not equal a stealthy get in-get out situation.
Just guessing, I am not expert.

When I was much younger, I felt it necessary to bring a lot of ammunition on just about any hunting trip. As the years went by, I began to ask myself why. Over thirty years ago, it became my habit to carry only what was in the rifle as I moved about the woods and field, and for any particular hunting trip I would only bring a twenty round box that would be in the truck or in camp. I even was so brash as to take only twenty rounds for my custom 257 AI on a hunt all the way to Alaska for Caribou. I brought back two bulls and sixteen rounds. (I fired two rounds to check my zero when I arrived). Varmint hunting and Upland Bird are different matters altogether.

When I hunt with an AR-10 with a 20 round magazine at most I will put in 7-8 rounds. If I get a good opportunity to bag my limit in one go I'll take it. Even then we are only talking 3-4 rounds.

Hog hunting, ok 20 rounds and maybe more, but it an AR-10 not a bolt gun. Hogs are likely gonna sprint on the first shot.

I can guarantee you that any loose ammo in your pocket is making less noise than you are walking around. In close to 56 years of deer hunting, with a very high success rate, I have never spooked a deer because of shells making noise in my pockets. Not once. Just load the gun up and put some extra ones in your pocket if you think you might be missing a lot that day.

I've grown out of the need to carry a bunch of ammo. Generally, my bolt action deer rifle is equipped with a buttstock ammo band with 3-7 rounds. On my fanny pack belt is an Uncle Mikes two tier folding 10 round ammo carrier with 3-5 rounds. That's always been more than enough although 2 years ago, after 3-4 days of doe shooting w/o refilling the supply, I did manage to run both my rifle and butt band dry and the belt pouch down to 2 rounds during a coyote blasting melee.
Magazine fed rifles--I always carry one spare mag on me and a box or so in the vehicle for refills and yes, I have run a 10 round mag down to the last shot more than once when the yoties were making a Banzai charge.

My normal hunting load is an M70 with 1 in the chamber, 2 in the mag (it won't push feed), and maybe 4-7 more rounds in pockets. Then a pistol loaded to capacity, type dependent on what humans or animals I think I'm likely to encounter.

Alternately, a M1886 with 7 or 8 rounds of .45-90 and usually no spares unless I'm carrying both softs and solids in which case I'll load one soft followed by solids and carry some spare softs.

I can't imagine needing more than that for hunting.

If you're talking about non-hunting applications, I recommend a rifle with detachable magazines and however many mags you think you need.

I have to agree, while I never gave much thought to a few rounds in my pocket that new Federal ammunition comes with nice 10 round belt holders. Also, there is no shortage of nice leather belt holders available. A Google will bring up a dozen examples of ones like this. Seldom if ever did I carry more than the four in the rifle (Remington 7400 or 7600) or whatever the rifle held.

Ron

I have several stripper clips from a Springfield 03. They hold 5 rounds quietly and secure in my pocket. They fit all parent cases from the 3006. I also use the 10 round stripper clip for my AR.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

7.62NATO stripper clips(close to, if not identical to, Fla_dogman's Springfield 03 clips) will fit any cartridge based on it, close to it or it was based on. .30-06 for instance. If you use 16 of 'em and an M1/1903 ammo belt you've got 80 rounds.
However, as mentioned, it really makes no difference sound wise. Does mean you don't have a pocketful of loose ammo to try and keep in said pocket.

Back