Carrying my H&K "cocked & locked", is it safe

Hank Smith

I just purchased a H&K .40 Compact, so far no problems, very happy. I see many posts refering to carrying the pistol "cocked & locked". My question is how safe is this with the H&K .40 Compact? In the event of home defense I want the pistol to be already cocked and not experience the trigger pull associated with the double action. I also find myself more accurate with the pistol when the trigger is cocked and I only have it in single action mode. Thanks for any responses.

Hank

Hank:

It's as safe as you are. Or, to put it differently, just as unsafe as you are.

It won't go off if you drop it. It won't go off if you pull the trigger but the safety is engaged.

Do you have training in the defensive use of handguns? If not, I strongly recommend you get some. And then practice appropriately. If you are going to keep it cocked and locked, then you should practice at the range starting with the gun cocked and locked, fire, then returning the gun to cocked and locked. Train until the operation of the safety becomes second nature.

M1911

What M1911 said.

I'll also add that the best safety is the one between your ears. Keep your finger off the triggeruntil ready to engage your target and you'll be fine.

Not only that, but you should absolutely practice shooting DA as well unless you have the non-decock variants. There is a possibility that you can go from cocked and locked to unlocked and decocked. If you don't practice with DA, your first shot will surely be a whizzer if you accidently decock.

Remember, when carrying C&L, the holster is an integral part of the safety package.

Look for one that is optimized for C&L carry.

Some excellent advice form these 2 guys Hank. Your level of safety depends on your level of training/practice. If you train by using the pistol C&L'd then you'll perform fine in a situation.

I would like to add that I think you are over-concerning yourself with the DA trigger pull. Again, if you practice on your DA shots it will become a null factor.

Make a logical chioce on the condition of the weapon (C&L'd or DA), then practice to become comfortable with it. Do NOT make the choice the other way. "Comfort" is purely a function of training. Years ago I was "uncomfortable with DA shooting so, well - I didn't. It bothered me that I limited myself by not being able to shoot DA. For damn sure if you can shoot DA, you'll be even better with the follow-up SA shots. After just s little consistent practice I can shoot DA without any problems - accuracy or comfort - at all.

You'll shoot the way you train. (repeat 100 times)

CMOS

Hank,

To each his own! Are you 101% confident with cocked and locked?

I saw a security video of a store owner drawing a concealed handgun as a robber pulled his. The owner was riddled with holes. The owner failed to release the safety!

On the other side of the coin, I hate to see children accidentally shooting a friend or a bad buy shooting someone with their own gun.

For "me", the HK-P7 solves all these problems.

Use what works best with you!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Well, since you asked. I personally would not carry the HK 40 SW cocked and locked. I had one and while tempted to do so I didn't. The reason being that it doesn't have a grip safety. I carry a 1911 on a daily basis and I carry it cocked and locked. I don't agree that your pistol is as safe carried cocked and locked as a 1911 due to the absence of a grip safety. Again, to each his own. When I carried my HK, I carried it decocked. I trained myself to cock the hammer when I drew the weapon. There may be some who would consider this unsafe. I also trained shooting it in the decocked mode. After a while I decided the h&#@ with it and bought a 1911.
Daddycat

Back