Carry Options

waldo102

Inactive
Ok. I am finally in the market for a carry firearm. The two I am considering are relatively different however. They are the Ruger SR40c and the Sp101 in .357 3". I will be using this gun bot for EDC as well as a sidearm for bowhunting. I have shot the SR40c quite a bit, and shoot it pretty well. However, I like the ruggedness, and simplicity of the revolver platform. I have held the revolver on multiple occasions, and like the feel a lot. Also, the SP101 would be about $120 more where I will be purchasing from. HELP!

For EDC, it really should come down to which gun you shoot the best. For me, "feel" means almost nothing; what matters is how well I actually shoot it. And in my experience, most people shoot mid-size semi-autos better than they shoot small revolvers, and so I'd probably recommend the SR40c; but actually I'd pick the SR9c simply because 9mm is easier for me to shoot and is cheaper. If you like the .40 then go for it, just keep in mind that there's no measurable increase in "stopping power" between .40 and 9mm.

The SP101 is also a great gun, but keep in mind that a revolver is usually less rugged than a semi-auto, not more. A revolver is simpler for a novice to operate, is usually more powerful for its size, and will give you greater flexibility in ammo. But a semi-auto usually has fewer parts, tends to be more rugged, has a higher capacity, usually has lower felt recoil, and usually has a trigger that's easier for for most people to use.

Oh, and welcome to TFL!

I own the SP101 and it is my favorite handgun I own. I love Ruger revolvers, but I'm not to keen on their current line of semi-autos that much (except the SR1911, those are nice). Personally, when firing a Ruger semi-auto, then going and picking up....say.... a S&W M&P (full,compact,shield), I can't justify going with the Ruger. Can't say why.. Just don't like the way they fire.

I'd rather have the more powerful cartridge on my side as a hunting companion, just in case I ran into something out in the woods bigger then expected. I vote for the SP101. It will last a lifetime for you and not really ever decrease in value (.357 snub nose revolvers,, from reputable manufacturers, retain value much more then any other handgun.. in my opinion... especially a 3" SP101).

I think either one would be a good choice - but in the end, it's what you like best. I like Rugers as much as my Smiths and Colts. I haven't shot a SR40c but I do have a SR9. I've had it for about seven years - no problems at all with it and it eats whatever I feed it from factory to hand loads with lead bullets. It's a very accurate hand gun for me.

I haven't shot a SP101, but I have handled them and one is on my "want to by list" in .357 with a 3" barrel. The .357 would give you the option of using 38 spl. and .357 depending on your needs plinking, hunting, SD.

What are you comfortable with as far as capacity? The SR40c will certainly hold more than the SP101 . . . but then again, even in a SD situation, how many do you need and what are you comfortable with?

Not to debate . . . but I wouldn't go as far as to say that a revolver is "less rugged" than a semi. I've shot revolvers for 50 years and have never had issues in regards to "ruggedness". You take care of your hand gun . . it will take care of you.

I think a lot of things come in to play that you need to consider. Cost, caliber, availability of ammunition in your area (unless you reload), capacity and since you hunt - what type of "large critters" you might encounter. If nothing larger than a deer . . . either fit the bill. If bear or wild hogs . . . maybe some further consideration. As far as EDC . . . which is going to conceal the best for the way that you carry?

I personally think that either one would be a good choice. :)

The SP-101 .357 is a great little gun. I've had them in both lengths and much prefer the shorter barrel. With the 2 1/4" barrel, expect from 1300 fps with magnum 125's to the high nines using 200 grain hardcast wilderness loads. I don't think it can be beat for a compact .357 Mag.

Consider this: You need a gun that you’re willing to carry all the time. If it’s too big, too heavy, too much of a PITA, you’ll come up with reasons to leave it at home.

The SR40c is certain to be more comfortable to carry, holds over three times as much ammo as the SP101 and is much easier to shoot than a DA revolver, especially when the revolver is loaded with full-house Magnum ammo.

I’ve carried a GP100 and L and N Frame Smiths, but only as experiments. After 26+ years of EDC, I now alternate between a SA XDm 9mm with the 3.8 slide and full-size grip and a PF9 when the bigger gun just won’t work. Try concealing a full-size 9mm when you’re wearing a tux without the jacket!

I vote for the SR40c.

Back