Carry gun suggestions

ammo.crafter

Finally escaped New Jersey and now reside in Pennsylvania.

What a difference a few miles make!

Looking for suggestions for a IWB carry semi auto.

Thanks.

Colt, or Glock, or Ruger, or S&W, or SIG Arms, or ...

How about narrowing down your criteria just a bit? Are you looking for metal or plastic? Single action, traditional double action, or double action only? What caliber?

ammo.crafter said:
Single action; single stack; partial to 38 super/357 Sig; exposed hammer;
Basically, you're talking about a 1911. Few makers offer .38 Super. Colt does, but only in a full-size, which may not be ideal for IWB carry. Armscor (Rock Island Armory) also offers one model is .38 Super, also a full-size.

I'm sorry, I don't know what other makers offer the .38 Super.

Wilson combat offers a number of his models in .38 super / if I wanted a .357 sig in a single stack it would be a sign 239 but no SAO available....

But personally you'll have way more options in 9mm or .40 s&w. ...

Give us more feedback, budget, when / how often carry, your size (ala Desert Eagle no Bueno for a 95 pounder), what size weapon fits in your hand best, etc.

Carry Guns

RugerLc9s.Son and I bought two at first issue.300-500 flawless rounds now.Accurate,Great Triggers ,excellent CS,with or without manual safety.:)

more

Thanks.

A big 1911 fan and find that platform works very well for me both fit and form.

The BHP is great but that double stack mag is a bit much for IWB, IMO.

Would like to keep weapon cost u8nder a grand.

For .357 sig, you have a few Sig pistols, Glocks... can't think of a lot.

Don't know the model number of the 357 sig Glock but I like my g26 Gen 4 a lot.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

G19 as a starting point. Objectively it's the perfect compromise pistol.

Rather than the G19, this cheapskate bought a S&W SD9VE which is the same size and weight as the G19 but $200 cheaper and very reliable.

Despite the low price and the badmouthing of the "sigma" name, I've heard great things about the sd pistols. I've been jonesing for a .40, not necessarily to rely on for anything in particular but just to have a .40. During the next shortage I foresee a variety of calibers as a good thing. Anyway, the low price tag had been what's so appealing to me.

I would, however, rely on a Glock (or M&P, etc.) for my go to pistol.

Since you like 1911s, I'll mention that I've experienced excellent reliability and overall excellent results with a Kimber Target II and STI Trojan in 38 Super. I believe the Kimber is within the price range you're looking at and the STI is close. I still have the STI and a Colt 38 Super. They have both proven to be reliable and accurate pistols and I would not hesitate to carry either one if I so desired. The new regular production Colt Supers are priced right and should provide excellent service too. Conventional wisdom now days seems to be to carry Glock or similar polymer pistol. I get it. I have Glocks too, used to get paid to carry one 40+ hours a week. But, I admit I'm a bit old fashioned and don't recall the last time I shot them, much less carried one;)

PS, The Hi Power was mentioned. FWIW I've carried the FN/Browning Hi Power IWB off duty quite a bit. The Hi Power is a quite svelte double stack compared to some of the rather clunky double stacks of much later design. My Hi Powers with Spegel or Hogue grips are no thicker than a 1911 type with the standard grips.

Attachments

• Supers (2).JPG
    Supers (2).JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
IWB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.38 Super, single stack limits you to 1911? Colt was making their Lightweight Commander in .38 Super until fairly recently. There should be some on gunbroker.
The Witness isn't single stack, but a buddy had a Stock II chambered in .38 Super, and it is a nice gun.

ammo.crafter said:
. . . . IWB
While I'm pretty uneducated in The 38 Super/357 Sig Department, this does sound like a 1911 to me, at least in 38 Super. I'm unaware of any 1911s in 357 Sig.

Research the Dan Wesson Guardian . Alloy frame , bobtail for concealability, excellent quality and easily available in 9mm , .45 ACP and .38 Super .

Back