Carry gun (Beretta 9000S, Kahr P9, others?)

modoc

Inactive
I've selected the Beretta M92FS as the perfect range/home gun for me, as it fits my hand perfects (I have large hands). Now I just need to select a smaller, more concealable weapon. The ones that have caught my eye are the Berette 9000S, which is gorgeous, but heavy; and the Kahr P9. Anyone have advice on these, or other choices I may have overlooked?

I'm definatly looking for 9mm.

Thanks,

Modoc

I don't have the P9, but I do have a K9, MK9, and K40. I love them all. I prefer SA, DAO, or striker-fired over DA/SA because I like a consistent trigger pull. The Kahr has the smoothest trigger pull around. It is a longer trigger pull than a Glock, but smoother.

My Kahrs have all been accurate and reliable.

M1911

If you want a Kahr-like pistol, check out the Kel-Tec P11. Like the Kahr P9, it has a polymer frame and is double-action only.

But the Kel-Tec is much lighter, has a 10+1 capacity (compared to the Kahr's 7+1)and it costs less than half as much. Mine has been completely reliable, and I highly recommend them.

Kel-tec much lighter than a P9? I find that difficult to believe. I have a P9, it is the lightest gun in my collection. I was not so excited about it at first but with the addition of the Hogue Handall Jr, I cannot shoot it enough. My one complaint that remains is that the slide release need some dehorning but then I guess that keeps it in the holster better. Some have had trouble with premature slide locking on an unempty mag but I have not experienced this. One other thing is that Kahr rates the P9 as able to take a steady diet of +P ammo.

I'll let someone else suggest the Glock 26.

Kurley: The Kel-Tec is certainly lighter than the steel-framed K9. But much lighter than the polymer P9? Are you sure about that?

m1911

Curley,

The Kel-Tec unloaded is 14oz and the mag is 6oz loaded.
The Kahr is 16 oz, and the mag is approx. 4.5oz loaded.

The cost of the Kel-Tec is a little OVER half as much, not "less than half".

As far as the pistol goes, they are great, and lots of folks highly recommend them. I tried one before I bought my Kahr P9, and was completely turned away by the aweful, heavy trigger pull on the Kel-Tec. Then I checked the Kahr, and on the P9, WHAT a SWEET trigger pull!
Now, I would suggest you try both, but be sure to check that trigger pull before you buy.

Now before you think I'm out Kel-Tec bashing, let me add that I'm still awaiting delivery of my P32HC at the local gunshop :)

Welcome to the Show Curley.

i bought a p9 in december. the trigger was great, the accuracy was great, but the gun didn't work. the slide locked prematurely (i.e. the mag was not empty). and it did it a lot. sometimes it would lock back every other shot. kahr says they require a couple hundred rounds of breakin, so i did that (as tedious as it was, having to hit the slide release all the time). didn't help at all.

sent it back to the factory a month ago. maybe someday they'll fix it & send it back.

maybe not.

your mileage may vary; or not. it seems that the premature lockback has been reported by quite a few folks here. interestingly, the steel models don't seem to have the problem.

Modoc,

I also have the Beretta 92FS and was looking very seriously at the 9000S. However, I went with the P9 after looking at and shooting both. Both shot very well but I was more accurate with the P9. The 9000S grip does not feel right to me - unlike the 92FS and 8045. The P9 sits well in my hand and feels good. In addition, the controls on the new Beretta are very stiff and I have yet to find one that has "broken" in with extended use. The P9 does recoil more but it is not excessive and it is so light that you can forget you are carrying it. You can still tell with the 9000S. There have been many reported problems with the P9. Mine has functioned flawlessly with different loads and makes. Even though I am very "pro" Beretta, I think they have missed the mark somewhat and would definitely recommend the P9 over the 9000S. The only downside, if it even qualifies, is the lack of a manual safety and 3 less rounds than the Beretta. Also, the 9000S will take your 92FS magazines with a spacer. Nice feature but not enough to win me over.

Miles

I agree that the Kel-Tec is the way to go. I too have large hands and with the addition of a hogue handall and extended magazine it fits like a glove. I agree the trigger is long and tuff. I added the trigger shoe (direct from keltec) and it made the trigger as sweet as anything ive ever fired. I didnt think a simple trigger shoe would do all that, but it has. And then some. Its a sweet shooter. Check it out.

Tim :)

OK times up. How about the Glock 26? You mention no bias for or against Glocks so worth considering I think especially since you mention other striker fired pistols. Reliable, accurate, and also rated for the hot ammo.

I'll let someone else suggest the Glock 19.

Back