Carry case for guns - made-to-fit foam help?

pvanosta

I'm trying to make a carry case (style: aluminum flight case) to carry my handguns and mags to and from the range. I found this great tool case at Lowes (see link)
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24981-000010203-VGC-5200

Now I want to configure the inside of the case. It comes with this soft foam which you can break apart in 1/4-inch squares.
I'm looking for something more solid and at the same time more form-fitting.
Has anyone tried this? If so: what kind of foam have you used and how have you made the cut-outs to fit your guns?
Alternatively: has anyone tried injection foam, which then hardens inside the case and around the (obviously protected) guns?

Any ideas are welcome at this point...

I'm not sure about foam types, although the injected foam strikes me as too stiff. As far as cutting the softer foam, I know that an electric knife works well. I had one that I was going to sell, but after I saw how well it cut foam, I kept it. Comes in handy from time to time.

I can't remember where I read it but someone had some detailed instructions on how to cut the soft foam for a custom fit. Details are lost to me, but I remember something about drawing an outline on the foam, putting it in the freezer to stiffen the foam, then cutting it with a knife (easier to cut the foam when cold), then glueing it to a plain piece of foam for the backing. I think you had to measure the thickness of the gun and the two pieces first so it'd fit in the case, however. Sorry, my memory is not what it used to be.

Depending on the type of foam, it may trap and hold moisture. Humidity in the summer and condensation in the winter when returning from the range. If you use foam, try throwing a dessicant pack in there as well. I wish I had.

you can get the foam cutter at Micheals Or hobby lobby < I made mine from abunch nicrome wire and a 9 volt battery works great (warning very hot!! yyeeoooow !!!mrgfff ) Now All I need is to find some High Density closed flexable foam sheets anybody have a source for this??

Thanks

Thanks Coonan357. All we need now is a decent selection of foam types and we're in business...

How do you like your Coonan? I have a Model B which I absolutely LOVE.
I like it so much, I'm thinking of having it refinished. Is yours still in its original finish?

Foam source

I found these guys:
http://www.foamsweetfoam.com/

They'll custom cut the foam for you.
The only thing I don't yet know (and I've emailed them asking the question), is: what color does the foam come in? It better not be white...

Other than that, they're perfect. You get 2 pieces of Firm, High Resilience foam (1 of 1 inch thick, 1 of a thick ness to cover the rest of the height of your case. You put the second one down first. You cut the 1-inch one to fit all your guns and gear and put it on top of the base one. You're done...
Cost: about $17.00 for the foam.

I'll let you know.

Further info from Scott at www.foamsweetfoam.com:
The foam we're looking for is G80170.

You can either order the acoustical foam online and type in G80170 in the comment line or call in the order. The G80170 is a firm, grey foam that we sell for this type of application.

Since foam is rounded to the nearest 1/4", when you order designate either 1/2" or 3/4" instead of 2/3"

Hope this helps.

Here's a picture of my ready carry case. It is an old Halliburton/Zero camera case that my sister was going to throw out. I order the foam (closed cell soft foam designe for cameras) from them for about $20.00 if I remember right. The outlines were cut out with a razor blade.

standard.jpg

Back