Carry at work

Leprechaun

Inactive
What is your companies view on weapons at work?
If negative do you follow that policy?

My company strictly forbids same (hospital) and I reluctantly follow this policy. I'm also LEO and fear reprisal while at the hospital!
P.S. Nice board you guys have here. :)

------------------
1*

The owner of my company insists that all employees have a loaded firearm handy at all times.

(yes, it is nice to own my own company (and be the only employee))

My company has the same policy as Rob's.

:D

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

Glib reply: And Faith, what would one o' the little people be needin' wi' a gun? Cast a spell, ya can, to keep ya'self safe! Oooo, if I kin catch ya, I get your pot o'gold!

Honest reply: I was a hot and heavy EMT-Basic for about five years. I dropped out "because of a back injury" (and our EMS attitude about guns).
1) Even off-duty, we could not enter the EMS building while armed. I could have lived with that - we had been unarmed for years.
2) The constant snide comments about guns was sort of a pain in the gluteus maximus.
3) The clincher? They felt they knew all they needed to know about guns. No problem (they say) to take a firearm from a hurt, dis-oriented patient. Lep, it was too frightening for me:
a) They didn't know ANY of the safety rules - not one! They treated firearms as though they were incapable of inflicting harm.
b) They told me I was over-reacting when when I told them the pistol was still loaded after the magazine was out (until proven otherwise)!
c) They refused FREE training from certified instructors and LEOs.
d) They constantly and consistently berated the few of us who admitted some knowledge and skill with firearms.

So I simply avoided the problem and left these people alone. Their self-inflicted, self-perpetuated ignorance was a danger too great to endure.

My wife and I are now both self-employed. Less gross income than earlier but about the same after-tax income - and:
a) I have MUCH less chance of picking up extra holes in my body!
b) I don't have to put up with their degrading and (more seriously) dangerous crap.

You have a few hard decisions to make. Me? I'd advise you to update your resume....

My employer (a *huge* computer manufacturer) doesn't allow firearms on company property. Even the security goons are completely unarmed.

Unofficially, I'd guess that 75% of my cohorts are gunnies, just based on the conversations in the cafteria. I told one of the cooks (who goes shooting with me and my buddies) about the demise of CO-SB156, and three other guys in line spoke up, ranting about the antis.

If we could just convince the CEO that guns are a Good Thing...

------------------
Bullets and primers and hot brass a-flying;
Goblins in my house all screaming and crying;
Nineteen-elevens and scope-mounting rings;
These are a few of my favorite things...

A local Manufacturing plant's operations manager got wind of my security background through a local LEO when they were having a problem with a threatening indiviual. he asked me to put a team together to work at the plant and "keep an eye on this guy."

He offered to pay us very well. I put a team of off duty LEOs together and set up the security arrangements. The site security was top notch, but their procedures (as usual) were horrible. The rent-a-gaurds that they had full time were mostly retired non-leo types. Corners were cut almost everywhere and most employees had not respect for the security arrangements (designed to keep things from leaving the building, not to keep workers safe).

We worked for two weeks and the Ops managers boss's got tired of paying fro something that they saw as WAYYYY overpriced insurance. The individual in question never did anything (and hasn't, this was about 8 months ago).

When we finally confronted the employees about what had been going on (not mentioning the name of the person, though most of them knew (a meeting in each shift, on a day when "the individual" had a day off.), several of them mentioned that they would like to have the option of bringing a gun to work, especially if there was a threat to their safety. At the meetings I deferred to the management's policy (no guns) and skirted the issue.

In private I asked the ops manager to pursue the idea of letting CCW holders carry weapons on the premises. He brought it up at a managment meeting and it was decided that guns on the premises would not deter threats, they would only encourage accidents or violence.

Personally, I like what Pascal had to say:

"An Armed Society is a Polite Society"

There were about a hundred ways to hurt or kill someone with the machinery and tools they were using in that plant, yet they were worried about people having a direct means of personal defense. They spent thousands of dollars in two weeks to put armed men in their midst, who honestly, had little chance of stopping a determined man before he acted, yet were afraid to trust their own people with weapons.

------------------
-Essayons

There are many of us here, I am sure, who do not require a "weapon" to kill at close range. We are surrounded by objects that enhance our abilities, which are often formidable. There is no way to outlaw or restrict all of these items.

Having a firearm at one's disposal just gives the average individual the ability to defend against those who have the physical advantage. If all weapons were magically gone, the bullies of the world would still be, as they often learned their lessons earlier in physical violence.

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited March 08, 1999).]

Since becoming self-employed and working out of my home, I'm almost always armed (gun/knife). This includes times when I'm visiting clients (unless state/fed government or there are signs posted saying no firearms; I try to limit the work I do for these clients).

During my corporate life, the rule was "no firearms." I can't honestly say I never broke the rules just like I can't say I never carried in Chicago when I lived there. You do what you think best at the time.

It doesn't apprear that these "rules" do much good in stopping someone from "going postal," but it sure keeps a legally armed person from providing an appropriate response when it does happen..

------------------

Leprechaun, in what state do you live? In my state, Texas, a LEO may carry anyplace he or she pleases and, usually, is required to do so by his/her department. It strikes me as very peculiar that those who are sworn to protect would be hampered by disarmament.

An aside: I strongly recommend that all read the Monk article suggested by "cornered rat." It is the best, on the subject, I have seen in my 68 years. - Doc

As a service technician, I am required to be "on call" on a regular basis. This is a situation where I can be called for service to some bad locations at any time. I have a carry license and carry at all times.

[This message has been edited by DHH (edited April 10, 1999).]

Carry at work is impractical for me. I'm a mechanic, if I didn't beat the gun to death, it would just get in the way. However, I am also "on call". I work for the city and with city services such as fire and police working 24 hours a day, I might have to go out at any time. If, I go out after normal working hours, there will be a gun with me.

True story, a couple years ago one of our other mechanics went out at night to repair some pencil pushers car which had broken down. The car guy noticed the mechanic's cocked and locked 1911 on the seat of the service truck. Next day this guy goes straight to the Mayor and tells him that a city employee had a gun in a city vehicle. The Mayor looked at him and said "So do I, whats your point?" Don't ya just love it!

Good one, Grayfox!

I was raised with firearms, target shooting, and hunting. I became a fervent supporter of the 2nd Amendment at 17 while observing the change in manner of a LEO to this "longhaired, hippy SOB"(his words) upon his realizing that this "longhaired, hippy SOB" was an ARMED longhaired, hippy SOB. "May I see your license, sir?" Certainly, officer.

Around 79 or 80 I was leaving to go on a repossession with a new employee. I noticed the print of a handgun on his coat. "Kenny,"I said,"Do you really think that is necessary?" pointing to his revolver. For answer, Kenny took his coat, shirt, and undershirt off. He showed me the three dimpled scars on his abdomen and the truly amazing surgical scars. "I was shot three times doing the same thing we are going to do now...in the same neighborhood. I carry or I quit." We were both carrying when we left that day and I have carried continuously ever since. I now work as an emergency nurse and of course cannot carry at work. Lots of potentially lethal items in an emergency department though. Our security is unarmed old men. To date, when things get weird, I wind up protecting the security. The local police don't understand the meaning of "We need an officer NOW."

Oh, an update on Kenny. Several years after leaving my employment, Kenny was at a bar and armed. (A no-no under the Ga. permit law) He was attacked by another armed individual who proceeded to pistol whip him. Kenny tried to escape but his assailant followed him to the parking lot and continued the assault. Kenny drew his revolver and killed the assailant. Kenny spent eighteen months in jail with out a bond set awaiting trial on murder charges. His jury was out for fifteen minutes before returning a verdict of not guilty on all charges-including carrying a concealed weapon in a bar. Eighteen months? What ever happened to the right to a speedy trial?

Doc - I live in Idaho, I not only have the right to carry throughout the state as an LEO, but have a CCW permit, (as some states allow CCW but not out of state LE, go figure) I think everyone should have national reciprocity, both LEO and CCW!
The hospital policies say, only on duty LEO may carry, and while working as a Therapist I'm not "on-duty".
Yea tell it to the BG givin me RNL's while I'm takin care of his family, or friend. :(
I'm employeed here because other then this major complaint, they are the best company I've ever been affiliated with! :)

------------------
1*

When I told my employer about my new Walther purchase, he asked me to bring it to work! He was dismayed to find out that it is a gross misdemeanor to bring a firearm on a bus, so I couldn't show it to him.

When I told my employer about the Senate shall-issue bill, he immediately got on the Internet to look up the bill and email his representatives!

When I told my employer about the joint Senate and House Crime Committee meeting that John Lott was speaking at, he let me have the day off so I could go (he would have gone, too, but had a motorcycle conference that day)... even though business shuts down when I leave for the day!

I also go shooting with his son about once a month...

Pretty cool place to work, huh?

=Q=

------------------
"Oh, grow up, 007."

Q:

Your company wouldn't, by chance, looking for computer/network tech, wouldja? :)

------------------
Bullets and primers and hot brass a-flying;
Goblins in my house all screaming and crying;
Nineteen-elevens and scope-mounting rings;
These are a few of my favorite things...

I have a friend that is in the medical business, he is the chief of surgeons at a major west coast hospital. During his career he has been in charge of several emergency rooms at hospitals across the US. Guess what, he carries ALL the time. He has a CCW and figures that if the hospital board wants him gone because he carries a pistol (or two) on the grounds he will find another job. Is he paranoid? I don't think so after hearing the hospitals where he has worked. At one gang bangers tried to finish off their victim as he was being unloaded from the ambulance.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Being self employed, this isn't a problem for me. But I remember reading about a similar situation some time back. The individual in this case worked for a company that had just instituted a strict no-gun policy.
She went to their legal department and essentially had the corporate lawyers draft a document that stated that:
1. She felt her rights to legally carry (she had a CCW) were being violated.
2. In the event that she suffered any harm or death because of her company mandated inability to protect herself, the company would be held responsible for any damages she or her heirs sought to pursue.
I don't know if this action changed the company's policy in any way, but I thought that putting them "on notice" that there could be a down-side would at least let them see that there was another side to this argument.

[This message has been edited by Karanas (edited March 10, 1999).]

The company I work FOR has no policy on firearms. The company I work AT (I am a consultant) has a policy against employees carrying, but customers are not restricted and neither are the vendors. I am considered a 'vendor' and although I work at the headquarters complex, rather than at one of the 300 stores, it has not occurred to them to post the signs restricting carry leaving it legal for permit holders.

Sorry, Coinneach. That's what the boss' son makes a living at. ;) Any computer questions that I can't answer get thrown his way.

However, Journeyman electricians with MN state licenses are always in low supply!

=Q=

------------------
"Oh, grow up, 007."

Back