CARLOS NORMAN HATHCOCK

David Wright

Well, it was only a matter of time. It was a call I knew would come, but I still can't believe it.

American hero and famed Marine Scout Sniper Carlos Norman Hathcock passed away this morning due to complications from pneumonia and a long battle with Multiple Sclerosis.

I had spent part of a weekend with him years ago in Hampton, Va., and we had been in touch every so often via telephone, and he always treated me like an old friend and I always felt likewise about him.

His demeanor, bearing and ability to tell it like it is always appealed to me. He never bragged about his abilities or exploits and humbly explained that " I was just doing my job". As I recall, his record for a long distance match at Cherry Point still stands.

I have many good, fond memories, worldly advice and awesome shooting instruction that helped me greatly from Carlos or "Carl" that I will never forget. From time to time, I'll pass some of those stories along, if anyone is interested. And, a real shocker, his favorite carry pistol was a Glock Model 21!
It was his companion when he went fishing.

I truly feel sad for those of you that didn't know who he was, or couldn't get the chance to visit with him. He was from an old, dying breed of straight talking, patriotic American heroes, that finds the wannabe heroes from my generation sorely lacking.

To paraphrase Dick Marcinko, "To the shooters (and heroes), that are fewer and fewer in number still". I will really miss him.....

Vaya con Dios, Carlos.

Keep his family, in you prayers.

David

[This message has been edited by David Wright (edited February 23, 1999).]

David-
I know I've read of Hathcock. Perhaps in Cooper's "To Ride..."? Sorry to hear of his loss. Guys of this caliber just don't seem to be coming along at the pace they once were. You were fortunate to know him personally.
Rich Lucibella

I never met Carlos Hathcock - my very real loss. Some Marine friends of mine knew him to one extent or another. Like you, David, I feel America is a poorer place with his passing. If Hathcock's exploits are not appropriate for TFL, I'm sure many of us would appreciate e-mails.
Without the efforts of "a few good men", I would not be here today. Although I am not a Marine, to his family and friends I extend my condolences. To Carlos, Semper Fi.

Gunny Hathcock,
I never met the man(my great loss) but the legand will live on as long freedom loving American's exist. May You Live forever Gunny.

My prayers are with his family.

Gunny Hathcock was a great American and a great Marine. He saved a lot of lives, both through his efforts as a sniper and his heroic decision to remain on a burning AFV to rescue fellow Marines after it hit a land mine. His life and his discipline should be a lesson to all of us.

Godspeed Gunny.

As a side note, WMZQ radio (98.7) in WashDC played the Star-Spangled Banner by the USMC band at noon today and dedicated it to Gunny Hathcock, mentioning his Silver Star and the loss of an American hero. Great going and two thumbs up to DJ Carol Muncie for the gesture. Hope Carlos was listening from on high...

Indeed, he was a great American. A true asset to our country and our way of life.

I'll drink one for him this evening.

------------------
-Essayons

It's so strange. After reading your posting about the Gunny, I was watching the History Channel tonight. They have been running programs about military occupations that are "Suicide Missions". Tonights chapter was about "Snipers". The Gunny was was covered in a significant segment of the program. If only I had been taping it! It was a fitting tribute to the man and Marine.
Semper Fi, Gunny.
Cat

I apologize that, until this evening, I did not know of Carlos Norman Hathcock by name. I was watching the History Channel just 45 minutes ago, and they recounted the history of snipers. This included GYSGT Hathcock's service.

I suspect his feat of killing an enemy sniper by shooting at the glint of his scope may very well have formed the basis for a similar scene in 'Saving Private Ryan'. They even indicated that, through 'oversight', his Silver Star was delayed 30 years! And, in addition to the rest of his amazing career, he was awarded the Star after pulling Marines out of a burning halftrack, and then was nearly fatally burned himself - with 3rd degree burns over 50% of his body.

We lost quite a man, and I respect his exceptional service, bravery and skill.

I was at the Shooters discussion boards earlier today and they have a thread about Carlos and a push to get him the CMH.

http://www.shooters.com/index.html

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Damn! I've got tears.

and I am pissed. No news show, or radio, or newspaper has/had a word to say so far.

Carlos is in Valhalla now, with the other heros we all mourn. Enjoy, Carlos, your body is now at peace with itself.

By the way there is a video interview done with Carlos, by John Plaster. If you have not seen it, it is worth buying or borrowing. Great footage of Carlos only a few years ago.

------------------
Freedom is not Free

I spent two tours of duty in Viet Nam with the 5th Marines. We all thought he was a hero. I still do. Stay Safe, Sam

OO-RA Gunny.

A genuine hero and an icon for all Marines.

Let's keep our eyes and ears open to see if there are any needs by his family. "Semper Fi" is more then just a motto.

Back