Carl Malone NRA ad!

Jason Demond

maloneNRA.jpg

Mailman Extols Different Kind of Shooting in NRA Ads
Thursday, November 11, 1999

BY STEVE LUHM
THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

Karl Malone made his name in the NBA. Now he has loaned it to the NRA.
And the critics already have started firing.
"I just hope he knows what he's talking about, but I doubt that he does," said Steve Gunn, a Salt Lake attorney who heads the group Utahns Against Gun Violence. "I'm not criticizing him for lending his name to a cause. I just question whether he has given much thought to it."
The Jazz forward's latest endorsement -- which he did gratis for the National Rifle Association of America's " I'm The NRA" advertising campaign -- will likely be the most controversial of his 14-year professional basketball career. And he knows it.
"There are certain things I believe in and do," Malone said. "That's my right. Some people might not like this. I know that. But I'm an NRA type of guy."
The Mailman's endorsement couldn't be more high-profile. It appears in this week's issue of Time magazine, two pages in from the cover and facing the table of contents.
"I doubt anybody will take him too seriously," said Gunn. "Karl Malone has credibility as a basketball player, but I don't know if he has credibility in this arena."
The NRA, which pours millions of dollars into its campaign to protect Americans' rights of gun ownership, disagrees.
"Karl is certainly respected for everything he has accomplished," said Wayne LaPierre, the organization's executive vice president. "He is a role model. We are proud to feature him in this campaign.
"One of the points we are trying to make is that the shooting sports are mainstream -- as mainstream as you can get -- and that the NRA represents a cross section of America, probably more than any other organization you'll find."
Gunn makes it clear that Utahns Against Gun Violence does not oppose hunting, or hunters like Malone. It is the NRA's tireless fight against handgun control that Gunn and his group oppose.
"We are not anti-hunting or pro-hunting," he said. "We are neutral on hunting. . . . If Mr. Malone likes hunting, great for him."
In the full-page ad, a gently smiling Malone offers this testimonial: "About the only thing I'd rather do than play basketball is hunt. There's nothing like enjoying the great outdoors with my friends and family. Plus the challenge posed by the superior senses of your game. I grew up hunting in Louisiana and I think it's a tradition we should pass on."
Malone decided to become a spokesman for the NRA after receiving a call from the organization's president, actor Charlton Heston.
"He wanted to know what I thought about the NRA, and allthat," Malone said. "He asked me if I would be interested in doing some stuff for them and I said, 'Yeah,' because that's who I am. . . . You can take away a lot of things from Karl Malone, but his guns, that's not one of them."
Malone called Heston "a great guy. . . . It's like Coach [Jerry] Sloan always says, 'He's got a barbed-wire tail and he doesn't care where he drags it.' "
Referring to his involvement with the NRA as "a natural thing," Malone says he owned his first gun at age 4.
"That's when I got my first B.B. gun," he said. "Then, when I was six or seven, I got my first little shotgun so I could go out hunting squirrels and rabbits with my mom. . . . I don't do this stuff for the attention. I do it because this is who I am. I believe in hunting and fishing and camping, because that's what I did when I was a little boy growing up."
Malone, however, isn't an NRA hard-liner; many members would likely disagree with his belief that "there probably should be some rules" on gun ownership and possession.
". . . Without a doubt," he said. "There needs to be laws and regulations. But don't take away my rights, and don't totally ban guns because if you do, you still won't get them away from the crooks, thieves and robbers. They're going to have them, no matter what."
Gunn finds fault with that logic. "If he is making the general argument that gun control measures are no good and we can't prevent criminals from possessing guns, I disagree with that," he said.
Malone receives his share of good-natured teasing from his Jazz teammates about his gun ownership, his hunting and his recent involvement with the NRA.
"Every now and then a few guys will say something," Malone said. "But you know what? When I come back and bring some jerky, those same guys are the first ones who want a piece."
Malone said his involvement with the NRA has also cost him one TV appearance -- and the chance to plug his new workout video.
"We've talked to a lot of people about going on their show, mostly because of the video," Malone said. "Letterman. Leno. Conan. Regis and Kathy Lee. But Rosie [O'Donnell] said, 'No way. . . . We don't have NRA people on our show.' "

http://www.sltrib.com/11111999/utah/46146.htm

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

The Mailman delivers again! COOL! You gotta admire a guy like that.

[This message has been edited by Grayfox (edited November 11, 1999).]

As long as Rosie hates him THAT much, I'd say he's doing something right. I hope this is a sign of a coming trend where the NRA goes on the offensive.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

"I doubt anybody will take him too seriously," said Gunn. "Karl Malone has credibility as a basketball player, but I don't know if he has credibility in this arena."

Then why do they have the Hollywood types, TV "personalities", and all the other liberal sycophants appear in anti-gun ads?
Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Hey, I was just about to post that!!

This from Salt Lake City's other daily paper:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Mailman delivers for NBA and NRA

Associated Press

Utah Jazz forward Karl Malone's latest endorsement was done for free for the National Rifle Association. It appears in this week's issue of Time magazine.

"There are certain things I believe in and do," Malone said. "That's my right. Some people might not like this. I know that. But I'm an NRA type of guy."

"I doubt anybody will take him too seriously," said Steve Gunn, head of Utahns Against Gun Violence. "Karl Malone has credibility as a basketball player, but I don't know if he has credibility in this arena."

The NRA disagrees.

"Karl is certainly respected for everything he has accomplished," said Wayne LaPierre, NRA executive vice president."He is a role model. We are proud to feature him in this campaign."

In the full-page ad, Malone says: "About the only thing I'd rather do than play basketball is hunt. There's nothing like enjoying the great outdoors with my friends and family. Plus the challenge posed by the superior senses of your game. I grew up hunting . . . and I think it's a tradition we should pass on."

Malone became a spokesman for the NRA after receiving a call from the organization's president, actor Charlton Heston.

"He asked me if I would be interested in doing some stuff for them and I said, 'Yeah,' because that's who I am," Malone said. "You can take away a lot of things from Karl Malone, but his guns, that's not one of them."

Malone said, however, that "there probably should be some rules" on gun ownership and possession.

Malone said his involvement with the NRA has also cost him one TV appearance - and the chance to plug his new workout video.

"We've talked to a lot of people about going on their show, mostly because of the video," Malone said. "Letterman. Leno. Conan. Regis and Kathy Lee. But Rosie (O'Donnell) said, 'No way. ... We don't have NRA people on our show.'[/quote]

http://www.desnews.com/dn/print/1,1442,130006788,00.html

[This message has been edited by sbryce (edited November 11, 1999).]

It's good to know that Malone has the testicular fortitude to do this while so many others do not. It will cost him some endorsements and criticism, but he has always said what was on his mind regardless of who it may "offend". It looks like it really isn't about money when it comes to Karl Malone!

I never really cheered for him as a basketball player, but as a fellow lifter, outdoorsman, NRA endorser, and fellow human being, I think he deserves alot of respect. He certainly has mine...now more than ever.

Isn't Malone the guy who also has a life-long attraction to big rigs, and has a gorgeous tricked out Peterbilt tractor/trailer?

I like him just for that...the rest is gravy!

As has been mentioned....when a celeb comes out on our side he/she is either demonized, or discounted as not having any credibility because he/she is "just_______". But when the celeb comes out on their side, that celeb is touted as a lofty intellectual with more credibility than mother's milk.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

This is great. I just wish the NRA would use more people that are really just plain ole people. We need to show engineers, teachers, accountants, plumbers, electricians, etc. I know it helps to use people of celebrity status because you get more bang for the buck. The anti and all the fence sitters need to know the NRA is not a big Washington political lobby, but just people, everyday common people. Like us.

NRA-ILA FAX ALERT
Vol. 6, No. 44 11/12/99
MALONE SAYS "I'M THE NRA," ROSIE SAYS STAY AWAY
NBA star Karl Malone (Utah Jazz) is the latest celebrity to lend his name and face to NRA's "I'm The NRA" ad campaign, joining the ranks of Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan, Hall of Fame receiver and U.S. Representative Steve Largent, All-American quarterback and U.S. Representative J.C. Watts, Jr., Virginia Governor James Gilmore, best-selling author Tom Clancy, actors Tom Selleck and Brad Johnson, and, of course, Academy Award-winning actor and NRA President Charlton Heston. Malone's ad is running in this week's Time magazine, and in it he states, "About the only thing I'd rather do than play basketball is hunt. There's nothing like enjoying the great outdoors with my friends and family. Plus the challenge posed by the superior senses of your game. I grew up hunting in Louisiana and I think it's a tradition we should pass on." His ad has already raised some criticism from anti-gun extremists, and The Salt Lake Tribune reported this week that a small, local organization called Utahns Against Gun Violence (UAGV) has questioned Malone's decision to be featured in the ad. Salt Lake City attorney Steve Gunn, who heads UAGV, commented, "I just hope he knows what he's talking about, but I doubt that he does....I doubt anyone will take him too seriously." Malone was also quoted in the same article as saying, "You can take away a lot of things from Karl Malone, but his guns, that's not one of them." One other person has apparently taken great displeasure with the new ad -- according to Malone, Rosie O'Donnell has said he is not welcome on her show because of his NRA membership. Given the depth of ignorance of the gun issue she displayed during her earlier ambush of Tom Selleck on her show (see FAX Alert Vol. 6, No. 19), O'Donnell has good reason to fear a debate with any other pro-gun celebrities. Or perhaps the public condemnation she received from the general public and other celebrities for her unwarranted attack on Mr. Selleck has made her a little nervous. Whatever the reason, if you would like to comment on Rosie's attempt to muzzle pro-gun celebrities and to stifle free speech, here are some points of contact:

The Rosie O'Donnell Show

Telephone (212) 506-3200

Fax (212) 506-3249

Website http://rosieo.warnerbros.com/

E-mail TheROsie@aol.com

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

If anyone here is from the NRA, you should also contact Bo Jackson. He is a staunch supporter of the second ammendment and the NRA as well.

------------------
DOCSpanky HM3 USN
Happiness is a smoking gun and a dead criminal;)

Back