Care of wooden stock, and leather sling

Jeff Thomas

I don't have much experience caring for the more natural materials used in firearms.

What is the best care I can give a brand new walnut stock?

And, with a new leather sling (rough on one side, smooth on the other), that is also unfinished (that is, it is not dyed, just 'flesh' colored, so to speak), how should I break it in? One fellow said to use Neat's (spelling?) Foot oil on it, and then a natural shoe polish.

Thanks. Regards from AZ

your walnut stock should already be sealed.
for open grained military style wood stocks, I like linseed oil buffed with an old burlap sack.
I have used neetsfoot oil on leather slings. It darkens and softens the leather, which is fine if that's what you want. However, I have come to prefer slings with minimal stretch and now use SnoSeal. it is a beeswax formula that has been around for years. I use a heat gun to warm the leather and the wax, rub it on with a rag, and heat it again to draw it into the leather, then buff off any excess. SnoSeal doesn't rot the stitching over time, and the leather doesn't become as elastic.

Any good sporting goods (Oshmans, Sports Authority) store or camping store. I've also found it in Wal-Mart on occasion.

If you don't have a heat gun, a hair dryer will do. (works well for drying your guns after a rainy day too)

Giz

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited March 03, 2000).]

Back