Care of nickel plated CAS

SixGunGuy

Inactive
Hello All! I’d like to ask a quick question pertaining to care of your CAS. I purchased a Uberti Doc .357 Nickel Plated. Although I’ve heard that Hoppes 9 SOLVENT can damage old nickel plate guns, their oil is just mineral oil from what I can tell. I’ve used a few drops, went back it and dry patched over. I have stored in a plain white sock and that is in a traditional gun sock. I have two revolvers for shooting and this one just to put back. I know it’s overkill, but does the hoppes OIL seem to be ok on a new nickel plate? And is the sock storage as described ok? Welcome all feedback and thank you.

Hoppe's makes several different Gun Oils and Gun Solvents / Cleaners.
The old school original formula Hoppe's #9 has or had ammonia in the formula and was in the long term, damaging to nickle finishes .

The new and improved products you want to use are :

1.) Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil , item # GO2
Advanced technology lubrication , safe for all materials and low odor

2.) Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner , item # GC2
High performance , advanced tecnology , Ammonia free and safe for polymer frames.
Since it is ammonia free it will not damage nickle finish .
And ... it's Scent Free (my wife Loves it ... she has a nose a bloodhound would envy)

I can bring my revolver into the bedroom after cleaning with Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner and oiling it with Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil ... something I can't do with the old formula #9 cleaner .

Hoppe's ELITE is the stuff you want for those plated or blued revolvers !
Gary

welcome to TFL

Storing your pistol in a sock happened often in the old West, I think because working class people rarely had extra money to spend on a gun case, but most of the time, they had socks.

Dedicated gun socks are a more modern take on that. Cheaper than a pistol rug or a gun case. Stores in a small space with no gun in it.

A sock doesn't latch or zip shut. Therefore it doesn't trap air with the gun like a case does. This means the gun is at ambient humidity, essentially, all the time. Not automatically a bad thing, just something to watch and be aware of. Also, a sock is generally thinner and less padded than a case and won't protect against the level of damage a case will.

Back