Care of holster ??

PeacefulWarrior

I have a Highnoon "Down Under" holster which I love (and can recommend) the holster is made of rough out leather and worn IWB. Recently on a trip to NYC where it was hot and I did a lot of walking I noticed that the holster was damp with persperation. This is normally not a problem but I started to notice rust on the take down lever of my Sig. Does anybody know what would be good to apply to the holster to make it more waterproof? I'd need to use something that would no stain my shirts after I start sweating and the holster gets damp. I'd considered silicone spray but I don't know if it will sweat thru.

Thanks

There are a variety of wax and silicone based sealers sold in sporting goods stores for the waterproofing of leather boots. They will probably work fine for your leather holster.

I have used mink oil paste on holsters for years and it works well. If you don't want to go that far, you can use regular shoe polish or Johnsons paste wax.

Just remember that whatever you put on the holster has the oppurtunity to touch your skin, so make sure you don't have any reaction to certain chemicals or wear an undershirt.

There are all kinds of leather treatment products out there,Wal-Mart has a nice selection in the "Automotive" section.

On a side note,Might want to look in to a Kydex holster for a travel holster.

Back