Carcano mystery

Mattj4867

Hi all. I am new to Carcanos and snagged one at the LGS for $100. I am a little concerned about it because the bore is misaligned with the barrel. This rifle is from 1899 and the barrel is marked Tubata which is a process to fix damaged rifling. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? I will be taking this to a gunsmith, just wanted some thoughts

Here are pics
https://imgur.com/a/Wu4enQQ

Is that war time production ? Maybe that somehow balances the forces of their gain twist rifling . :D

The Carcano was never considered a top notch military rifle but Italians fought with it in north Africa, Greece, and Albania. Lee Harvey Oswald owned one with a cheap scope and was reputed to have done the shooting in Dallas when JFK was murdered. I know of no custom rifle makers who use this action as their base. But I wish you good luck with your new rifle.

Jack

While the 1891 Mannlicher-Carcano action is strong enough (PO Ackley had trouble blowing one up), they are about as attractive as mud wattle, and no aftermarket parts are available for them. About 35 years ago I re-stocked and re-barreled one to 35 Remington for a customer, probably the first and last custom Carcano I will ever see.

Back