Carbon Fiber free float tube for AR

zukiphile

If my idea is stupid, please let me know.

If I took a 12.5 inch tube of CF with an internal diameter of 1.875 inches, could I thread it directly onto one of those ubiquitous aluminium threaded barrel nuts and drill just the tube for a set screw?

Yes, I understand that some people get the DPMS/Clark tube and drill and tap both the tube and nut rather than use glue, but I do not believe I possess drill and tap levels of skill.

Yes, I understand that AP Customs makes a slip on product with screws. I own one, but was looking for a cheap DIY.

Yes, I understand that some aluminium tubes are very light, but I think CF has lower thermal density.

If my notion just shows that I don't know how these things work, I don't mind hearing that. Thanks in advance.

You can certainly try. Dunno if CF will last though.

As for drill and tap, why not practice on some scrap first? It's not hard at all and even I can do it.

I leave this note for the benefit of anyone else with a similar idea.

I disassembled a couple of items to test this. I used my AP Customs carbon fiber handguard and tried putting it on the upper with a Nordic aluminium threaded barrel nut.

The nut isn't nearly big enough. If there were a threaded sleeve to place and glue into a CF tube, that threaded nit with just an anti-rotation screw would be very solid.

Now I see why people drill and tap for screws on the DPMS/Clark tubes.

You can find CF float tubes on EBay with the barrel nut and end cap for about $70.00 to $80.00. I have two ARs with CF float tubes, going to convert my other ARs to CF tubes. My hand was always cold in the winter with aluminum float tubes, but I don't get cold hands with the CF float tubes.

Back